Visiting Senior Scientific Specialist, Environmental Analysis - Illinois Sustainable Technology...
Visiting Senior Scientific Specialist, Environmental Analysis
Illinois Sustainable Technology Center
Prairie Research Institute
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Illinois Sustainable Technology Center (ISTC) is part of the Prairie Research Institute (PRI) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, which is centrally located between Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis. ISTC integrates applied research, technical assistance, and information services to advance efforts in the areas of pollution prevention; water and energy conservation; and materials recycling and beneficial reuse. Learn more at go.illinois.edu/PRIjobs.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
ISTC is seeking to hire a Visiting Senior Scientific Specialist, Environmental Analysis to compile and analyze research data for studies of material waste streams that have been identified as emerging waste concerns. This will include evaluating innovative technologies, programs, policies, and market trends on topics related to renewable energy infrastructures.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct research and interviews to collect data and information. This will include intermittent travel within and outside the state of Illinois (including internationally) to visit industrial sites, power plants, recycling facilities, meetings, etc. Travel to meetings and test sites may include outside of normal business hours and overnight stays.
- Compute and analyze data, using statistical formulas.
- Review and interpret results to assure validity.
- Collect, compile, and report environmental outcomes and project outputs.
- Develop business cases for implementation of sustainable practices using data collection.
- Contribute to project reports for funding sponsors.
- Assist with research or technical reports.
- Participate in the publication of data or information.
- Participate in pilot-scale projects for innovative processes in the area of solid waste reuse, reduction, recycling, renewable energy and waste to energy methods.
- Collect, process, and analyze data from these activities for the purposes of identifying suitable technologies for introduction to Illinois.
- Collaborate with University of Illinois and industry to transfer the technology and knowledge to government, the commercial sector and the research industry.
- Assist with preparation and dissemination of technical reports and publications to be published in professional journals, newsletters, peer-reviewed journals, etc.
- Present technical reports/papers/data at professional events/conferences regarding services and/or research results.
- Participate in regularly scheduled project progress review meetings to assist the project lead in meeting the following: goals, schedule, budget, and design requirements.
- Assist in developing responses to federal, state, commercial, and foundation funding opportunities.
- Communicate with people within and outside the Survey, representing the Survey to customers, the public, government, and other external sources.
- Contribute in the areas of education, outreach, and/or other service to the Survey, PRI, the University of Illinois, and the state of Illinois.
- Enhance the reputation of the Survey and PRI at the state, national, and international level.
- Maintain a continuing business relationship with major clients as part of ongoing business development efforts.
- Perform other duties as needed in order to further the mission and goals of the Survey, PRI, and the University of Illinois.
- Work jointly with a number of varied constituencies while observing standards of professional conduct.
- Keep abreast of developments in this discipline.
- Perform other duties as needed in order to further the mission and goals of PRI.
Required Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in business, economics, engineering, environmental science, or related discipline. Alternate degree fields will be accepted/considered based upon the nature and depth of the experience as it relates to this position. At least two years’ experience in managing projects in related field with bachelor’s degree. Experience engaging with external stakeholders. Experience working with mapping software such as ESRI ArcGIS. Knowledge and demonstrated experience with statistical software such as SPSS or R or STATA. Effective communication, personal relations, collaboration, organizational, teamwork, and leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to perform effectively in a diverse and fast- paced work environment consisting of multiple and changing priorities with stringent deadlines. Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team. Attention to detail, sound judgment, and conflict resolution skills. Proficiency in commonly-employed software and databases. Valid driver’s license and access to transportation.
Preferred Qualifications: MBA or master’s degree in economics, engineering, environmental science, or related discipline. Alternate degree fields will be accepted/considered based upon the nature and depth of the experience as it relates to this position. Experience working in data modeling with an environmental focus, cost estimating, market behaviors, or similar fields. Knowledge of current sustainability issues within public and private sectors including industrial, business, and communities such as water quality, hazardous waste reduction, green chemistry, contaminants, groundwater, and protection of the environment is a plus.
This is a full-time, visiting academic professional, grant supported, 12-month position subject to the continued availability of funding and programmatic need. Position may become a regular, non-visiting position at a later date depending on funding and programmatic need. The starting date is negotiable and the salary is commensurate with experience.
Applications must be received by April 23, 2021. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after this date. To apply, please visit https://jobs.illinois.edu/academic-job-board to complete an online profile and to upload 1) a cover letter that clearly articulates how your qualifications and experience make you a viable candidate for this position and should address the qualifications listed above, 2) a résumé/CV, and 3) the names and contact information (including e-mail addresses) of three professional (not personal) references. All requested information/documentation must be submitted for applications to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
For further information please contact Lori Walston-Vonderharr, Human Resources, Prairie Research Institute, at [email protected] or 217-244-2401.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility
College Name or Administrative Unit:Office of Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation Category:6-Research Title:Visiting Senior Scientific Specialist, Environmental Analysis - Illinois Sustainable Technology Center (139606) Open Date:11/23/2020 Close Date:04/23/2021 Organization Name:IL Sustainable Technology Ctr