Executive Assistant to the Dean
Executive Assistant to the DeanDepartment:
CAES Agricultural & Enviro SciencesAbout the University of Georgia:
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department:
The College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences is one of 18 schools and colleges that make up the University of Georgia. Small, upper-level classes allow students to connect easily with professors. Students can study plants, animals, business, communication, teaching, food science, and the environment. The college focuses on providing a safe food supply, a clean environment, and a better life for everyone. CAES has classrooms, laboratories, and facilities on UGA campuses in Athens, Griffin, and Tifton, Georgia.College/Unit/Department website:
TRS or ORPEmployment Type:
Benefits EligibleFull/Part time:
Full TimeAdditional Schedule Information:
Monday – Friday, 8-5 with occasional evening and weekend hours as neededAdvertised Salary:
Commensurate with qualificationsPosting Date:
11/20/2020Open until filled:
YesProposed Starting Date:
01/04/2021Location of Vacancy:
Athens AreaEEO Policy Statement:
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Classification Title:
Requires at least a baccalaureate degree in the field. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred Qualifications:
1. Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field and five years related experience; OR High School Diploma and eight (8) years related experience as a senior administrative professional; or equivalent combination of experience, training, and/or education.
2. Position requires extensive experience within an academic setting and systems of a large and complex organization. Experience in a university system is essential, and experience working at a land-grant university in agriculture is preferred or knowledge of agricultural and environmental sciences.
3. Ability to maintain confidentiality and a willingness to set a professional and welcoming tone for all who interact with the Dean’s office.
4. Demonstrated history of successfully communicating orally and in writing with varied stakeholders and maintaining effective working relationships; shown excellence in managing an array of projects and establishing priorities for self and others.
5. Experience in the leadership/supervision of professional status employees preferred.
6. Possess organizing and coordinating skills and the ability to efficiently manage resources.
7. Ability to use a variety of software packages at an expert level including (but not limited to) Microsoft Suite especially Word and Excel, Outlook Calendar, MS Teams, and videoconferencing; learn and utilize new and developing software systems such and OneSource Financial systems and HCM.
8. Excellent communication, customer service, and interpersonal skills. Ability to maintain effective collaborative relationships with faculty, staff, clients, students, and other stakeholders.
This is the principal professional administrative position that serves as a senior administrative staff member in the office for the Dean and Director of the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CAES) and reports directly to the Dean. The position is responsible for a broad and complex set of assignments related to the Dean’s office and supervises two exempt professional roles. The Executive Assistant will anticipate, initiate, and coordinate administrative and clerical matters for the Dean and coordinate the operations of CAES with the Provost’s office. Interactions of a sophisticated nature are required including with: the executive leadership of the University of Georgia; members of the GA State legislature; federal, state, and local governments; international, national, and local commodity groups; potential CAES donors and alumni; Advisory Council, faculty, staff, and students. This role will coordinate faculty relations, promotion and tenure, and other human resources concerns with Associate Deans, Department Heads, and the CAES HR Director. The position uses a high level of confidentiality and professionalism.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies:
- Ability to remember and utilize a large amount of data, close attention to detail, comparing data and information, and the ability to draw appropriate conclusions
- Continual use of computer technology
- Ability to verbally interact with a variety of individuals including faculty, staff, stakeholders, and management
- Ability to organize information in a logical manner
Lift and carry up to 20 poundsIs driving a responsibility of this position?:
NoIs this a Position of Trust?:
YesDoes this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?:
YesDoes this position require a P-Card? :
NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? :
NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?:
NoDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications):
YesCredit and P-Card policy:
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities:
General Administrative Affairs
1. Anticipates, initiates and coordinates administrative matters for the Dean. Serves as the professional representative of the Dean for all CAES constituents including Department Heads and Directors, faculty, UGA Provost and UGA executive leadership, external constituents including donors, members of the legislature, public, and oversight groups. Provides advice regarding the administrative and logistical functions of CAES. Ensures accurate, timely, and positive interactions that advance a professional image of the Office.
2. Coordinates various groups to schedule committee meetings and agendas including Administrative Council, Faculty meetings, department head meetings, etc. Effectively facilitates communication through the Dean’s office including office ‘general’ email, telephone messages and requests, correspondence, report writing and research, survey responses, etc. ensuring timeliness and accuracy.
3. Develops effective correspondence for the Dean’s signature, and/or holds signature authority for the Dean in significant matters. Depending upon the nature of the request may approve requests on behalf of the Dean. Works closely with CAES Director of Finance and Administration and/or CAES HR Director in matters related to the administration of salaries and budget.
1. Recruits, hires, conducts performance management reviews, disciplinary action if necessary, for professional-level positions: Sr. Public Relations Specialist and Events Manager. The position also hires and has oversight of student and/or graduate student employees.
2. Provides strategic direction for the Public Relations activities of the Dean’s office especially as it relates to government affairs, internal CAES communications, development, and Alumni Relations.
3. Provides budgetary oversight in collaboration with Events Manager for CAES events including conferences, ceremonies, expos, etc.
1. Working directly with the Dean, analyzes requirements, plans the implementation of, and makes operational a variety of routine and special projects.
2. Researches and gathers salient information for the Dean on topics of concern for the College. Presents information, concepts, and ideas to the Dean and CAES Executive Leadership team. Advises the Dean, as appropriate, on policy matters and supports the development and analysis of administrative process and policy.
3. Communicates requests on behalf of the Dean, ensuring all requests are fulfilled and may analyze information collected.
General Administrative Support functions
1. Supports the recruiting, screening, offer development activities, and effective onboarding of new Department Heads (DH). Utilizes organizational knowledge and creativity to develop and provide tools that will be helpful to welcome and quickly orient a new DH to CAES and UGA standing committees, appointments, lectures, student events, promotion and tenure process, etc.
2. Coordinates all travel arrangements for the Dean including processing UGA Travel Authorities (TAs) hotel, air, international visas, rental cars, and all miscellaneous requirements. Approves expenditures/payments/reimbursements for the Dean’s travel.
3. Manages a complex and demanding calendar and all events for the Dean, including scheduling, coordinating, and arranging a variety of conferences, meetings, seminars, and retreats. Works through the Events Manager to obtain locations, venues, catering, agenda preparation, etc. Serves as support for the Dean and various events.
4. Meets regularly with the Dean and is expected to work independently and exercise discretion, confidentiality, and judgment in carrying out all responsibilities. Anticipate office and organizational needs and deadlines, take proactive steps to ensure all materials are prepared and accurate for the Dean.
5. Has knowledge and complies with UGA policies and procedures including accurate timekeeping. Has sufficient knowledge of UGA policies including financial management and travel policies to support task completion in an accurate and timely manner.
6. Other duties within the purpose and scope of the role.