Director, Institutional Research and Planning
Posting #: 2776
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Institutional Effectiveness, Administrator
Advertised: November 25, 2020 Pacific Standard Time
Director, Institutional Research and Planning; Institutional Research & PlanningPosting #
The mission of Institutional Research and Planning is to facilitate continuous improvement through the use of data as information to support institution-wide decision making, planning, and organizational effectiveness.University Description:
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.Detailed Description:
The Director of Institutional Research & Planning manages an office responsible for developing, enhancing, and maintaining information resources of all types to support decision-making, planning, and reporting. The director oversees USD’s data governance and integrity issues and chairs the Data Integrity Committee. The director collaborates with Information Technology Services, Admissions, Registrar, Student Accounts, Financial Aid and others to ensure the accuracy of student record data. The director oversees the IRP team in the use of SAS Enterprise Guide for housing historical institutional research census files and reference tables and the associated queries, and the use of Tableau to develop and maintain an Interactive Data Center. The director also serves as a Brand Administrator for Qualtrics, the university’s survey tool.
The office provides information and analysis to support administrative decision-making and strategic initiatives. The director designs and conducts special studies and surveys; prepares oral and written presentations. IRP develops and maintains Web sites providing information on university facts and statistics and strategic planning. The director responds to information requests from internal and external constituents, evaluates the response value to the university, and allocates the workload equitably among personnel. IRP completes surveys and reports for the federal government and private agencies; prepares department profiles and workload analyses for academic program review; supports campus-wide assessment and accreditation efforts; and assists campus constituents in using and interpreting institutional data.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supports university executives, campus administrators, and campus committees with research, planning, and analysis of institutional and/or comparative data used to inform and enhance policy formation and decision-making for strategic planning, resource allocation, enrollment management, fiscal management, institutional effectiveness, and outcomes assessment.
- Designs and conducts research of interest to the campus community and publishes results on the IRP website.
- Supervises reporting of institutional data required by the U.S. Department of Education and accrediting agencies as well as data requested by national/state/local agencies, private sector firms, colleges and universities, college guidebooks, and other external constituents.
- Ensures that all reporting meets stated requirements and is consistent with current standard practices.
- Designs, develops, and maintains Web sites to publish institutional data online for the general public and via intranet for faculty and staff.
- Provides leadership for the design, development, and maintenance of a system of longitudinal databases containing data on students, employees, faculty, and academic programs.
- In partnership with Information Technology Services, will plan and implement a way for IRP student records to be made available in the ODS.
- Supports planning and preparation for WSCUC reaccreditation in accordance with the association’s Handbook at all phases of the ongoing cycle.
- With the Director of IESI, prepares the Annual Report for WSCUC and related reports as requested.
- Provides reports for campus stakeholders.
- Designs, develops, and administers internal institutional surveys and supports the administration of external surveys.
- Advises faculty and staff on survey design and survey administration.
- Provides department-level data for all academic departments for Academic Program Review.
- Supports USD’s institutional strategic planning process.
- Develops, monitors, and documents performance indicators for strategic initiatives. Prepares updates and meeting survey summaries for the Board of Trustees and provides other documentation as requested.
- Monitors external factors that may affect achievement of university goals and initiatives. -
- Chairs the Data Integrity Committee comprised of ITS and data managers across the university.
- Serves as a contributing member of University Assessment Committee, the WSCUC Executive Committee, the Enrollment Management Committee and various ad hoc committees.
- Represents the university in professional organizations such as AIR and CAIR.
- Manages department budget.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum of five years of increasingly responsible experience in institutional research
- PhD preferred
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of higher education, institutional research, and campus planning
- Demonstrated experience in managing large databases using database management software (e.g., SAS Enterprise Guide, Cognos. MS Access,)
- Demonstrated experience in explaining, presenting, and interpreting data
- Demonstrated experience in survey design, research, and analysis using statistical software packages (e.g. Qualtrics, SAS, SPSS)
- Demonstrated experience in Web design and HTML (e.g., Dreamweaver, Cascade)
- Demonstrated experience in assuring integrity in analysis and reporting
- Demonstrated experience in supervising staff
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and courteously, both orally and in writing
- Ability to set priorities, work independently, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially with a variety of campus constituents
Tools & Equipment Used:
Software for database management, spreadsheet, reporting, statistical, and web software; telephone, and other related office equipment.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.Posting Salary:
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]Additional Details:
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.