Assistant Athletics Director for Compliance
Job no: 498313
Work type: Management (MPP)
Location: San José
Categories: MPP, Administrative, Athletics, Compliance/Legal, At-Will, Full Time
The Assistant Athletics Director for Compliance is responsible for ensuring the Athletics Department staff, coaches, student-athletes and supporters are aware of and abide by the rules and regulations set forth by the University, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and other associated Conferences. This position also directly supervises the Athletics Compliance Office Staff. In addition, this position is responsible for administering and monitoring all athletically-related financial aid of more than 450 student-athletes as directed by the NCAA and Conference Offices.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Provide vision and leadership in the development and administration of an effective program to ensure institutional control.
- Provide day-to-day supervision of compliance matters.
- Lead and manage the Compliance team in decision-making and problem-solving situations.
- Determine the duties to be performed and delegate work responsibilities to the appropriate staff.
- Implement and oversee all compliance policy and monitor efforts including amateurism, personnel, recruiting, eligibility, financial aid, and playing and practice seasons.
- Lead and coordinate investigations of known and/or alleged rules violations.
- Keep the Sr. Associate Athletics Director for Compliance informed of all alleged and known violations.
- Provide written correspondence with the NCAA and affiliated conferences regarding rules violations and follow-up responses.
- Develop and administer a comprehensive rules education program for staff, coaches, student-athletes and boosters.
- Ensure appropriate NCAA and associate Conference Reports are completed and submitted in a timely manner.
- Oversee all athletic financial aid and personnel matters (NCAA Bylaws 11 and 15).
- Assist the Deputy Athletics Director/Senior Woman Administrator in requests regarding Title IX Compliance, Student-Athlete Handbook and other reporting requests.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong organizational, written and oral skills required.
- Extensive and in-depth knowledge of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and NCAA Eligibility Center policies and processes.
- Specific knowledge to ensure incoming student-athletes, transfer student-athletes and auxiliary rosters are eligible to participate in intercollegiate athletics meeting NCAA and Conference eligibility requirements.
- Ability to conduct meetings, establish record keeping protocol and organize record keeping protocol.
- Effective management skills required to supervise Compliance Office staff, including assistance with required game management responsibilities for home events.
- Ability to work effectively with donors and Booster Clubs to educate and direct involvement in fundraising activities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of student development theories relevant to a metropolitan university and demonstrated sensitivity and understanding of the needs of SJSU’s diverse student body.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with student, employees and external agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to mediate conflicts and provide dispute resolution in a fair and objective manner.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret technical procedures or regulations as well as CSU and university policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to establish positive working relationships with student, faculty, administrators, and staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively NCAA rules and regulations governing recruiting, amateurism, awards and benefits, playing and practice seasons, and sports camps and clinics.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of three years of experience in NCAA compliance at the Division I level
- Master’s Degree, Juris Doctorate
Classification: Administrator I
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
**The Application Period has been extended through December 23, 2020.**
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 25, 2020 through December 2, 2020. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: November 25, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time