Radio-Television-Film Lecturer Pool
Job no: 498265
Work type: Instructional Faculty - Temporary/Lecturer
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Faculty - Fine/Performing Arts, Temporary, Part Time
The Department of Film and Theatre at San José State University has two major programs, Radio-Television-Film and Theatre Arts that prepare students for careers as actors, performers, directors, script writers, producers, designers, technicians, managers, and scholarly/critical writers.
We offer training and experience in radio, television, film, and theatre production as well as courses in the history, scholarship, and aesthetics of these media. The department creates short and feature films through Spartan Film Studios, a full season of stage productions, and other faculty, staff, and student production projects. Students can participate in the department’s full-time radio station, KSJS 90.5, which provides entertainment, sports, and community service to the Bay Area.
Brief Description of Duties
- Teach undergraduate courses in radio, television or film, including courses in the RTVF major and those offered under General Education; hold regular office hours; work cooperatively with staff, chair, and other faculty members; participate in course assessment activities.
- Candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation – through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
- All Faculty should be organizing their classes within the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS), the official LMS provided for the SJSU community. All classes at SJSU, whether online or not, must be anchored in the Canvas platform to ensure faculty-student connection in a common space as all students are directed to log in to Canvas for online access to their classes. You will have access to this system prior to the semester start date.
- M.A., M.F.A., or Ph.D. with significant professional experience, strong teaching skills, and competence or training in radio, tv and/or film studies, performance, or production.
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience.
Please be advised that an appointment is contingent upon budget and enrollment considerations and subject to order of assignment provisions in the collective bargaining agreement between California State University and California Faculty Association. These provisions state the “Order of Work,” or the order in which available courses must be assigned to faculty, starting with tenure line faculty and ending with new lecturer appointees.
Salary Range - To commensurate with experience.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Expertise, including professional experience, courses you are qualified to teach and, if possible, times available for teaching assignments
- Three references with contact information
Address inquiries to Nikole Abrego, Administrative Analyst, [email protected]
San José State University enrolls over 35,700 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked third nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley’s public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position
Advertised: November 21, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled