Director Researcher Engagement
The Director of Researcher Engagement has the depth of technical knowledge and proven judgment and integrity to guide their team and implement a strategy that engages academic researchers and staff, and provide high-level technological support in alignment with the mission of the organization. The Director provides leadership and oversight of the core functions of researcher engagement to ensure service excellence, efficiency, and operational effectiveness. We are looking for an individual who strives for high performance and someone who establishes and maintains effective customer relationships and seeks to gain their trust and respect. A creative person with strong organizational, technical, and planning skills, the Director of Researcher Engagement possesses strong interpersonal and communication skills. The Director also has a strong commitment to service, teamwork and collaboration. OIT hires individuals of all backgrounds; we value and appreciate different perspectives and talents. OIT fosters an organization-wide commitment to service excellence, continual improvement, and continuous learning.
Director Researcher Engagement
Job ID: 2020-12149
# of Openings: 1
Category: Information Technology
The Director of Researcher Engagement reports to the Associate CIO, Research Computing (RC) and manages the group responsible for initial interactions with researchers. This group is composed of system and storage administrators, programmers, visualization analysts, and training specialists who work directly with researchers and may also have duties and responsibilities with other groups in RC and with academic departments. This group acts as the first tier of incident and request response for the RC ticketing system. This role develops and maintains relationships with academic departments, other areas of RC, other departments in OIT, and the national research computing and data community.
- Lead and provide expertise on the direction of researcher engagement and support
- Work with the Associate CIO and Research Computing leadership team to develop and implement strategies for engaging and supporting researchers
- Apply depth of technical knowledge and proven judgment and integrity to advance the research computing strategy as it relates to the academic researchers’ technological needs.
- Promote partnerships with national research computing and data communities and build mutually beneficial relationships.
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with academic departments to increase collaboration and raise awareness around the research computing services the department provides
- Serve as the liaison between the OIT Research Computing department and leadership of academic departments at the University, and build constructive and effective relationships
- Manage staff in the researcher engagement group
- Provide leadership and oversight to ensure efficiency, operational effectiveness and service excellence within the ticketing system to guarantee a timely response to the researchers’ technical requests.
- Set expectations with staff for quality customer service, and review outcomes and customer satisfaction.
- Oversee the daily work of system and storage administrators, programmers, visualization analysts, and training specialists and promote a supportive work environment based upon a shared vision.
- Establish staff goals and performance expectations and provide individualized coaching and feedback.
- Coordinate staff project and operational activities with the systems and storage and software and data areas of the department, and more broadly across OIT
- Strong experience administering high performance computing and data systems and/or programming research codes
- Experience working in a Linux environment
- Strong experience in an academic research computing environment
- Strong interpersonal competencies including clear oral and written communication skills
- Strong experience managing a diverse team of technical professionals
- Experience developing and implementing a strategic vision
- Commitment to developing a diverse workforce and maintaining an inclusive environment
- Commitment to providing professional and responsive customer service
- Strong experience in a Linux environment
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages relevant to research computing: C/C++, FORTRAN, Python