The Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U), a national higher education organization committed to improving the quality of undergraduate education, seeks a Director, Membership. The Director, Membership will be responsible for the implementation of strategic programs designed to improve member relations, increase engagement and enhance the overall member experience. In addition, the incumbent drives efforts to increase membership, sustain retention and achieve revenue goals. The Director, Membership will report to the Vice President of the Office of Advancement and Member Engagement (OAME).
AAC&U is recognized nationally and internationally as the leading association dedicated to advancing the quality, vitality, and public standing of liberal education and inclusive excellence in higher education. Founded by 150 college presidents in 1915 as the Association of American Colleges, AAC&U currently represents nearly 1,200 accredited colleges and universities of every type and size. AAC&U’s membership comprises large and small, public and private, two-year and four-year, domestic and international, secular and faith-based institutions; tribal colleges, Hispanic-Serving Institutions, and Historically Black Colleges and Universities; and entire state systems.
- Develop and lead all aspects of the membership strategy through innovative marketing and design to achieve annual goals for recruitment, retention and engagement as outlined in the strategic plan.
- Design and implement a comprehensive member engagement program to ensure participation across membership sectors including new member orientation efforts.
- Evaluate and monitor membership marketing campaign effectiveness to achieve annual growth and participation goals.
- Work collaboratively across divisions to manage strategic member marketing and communications to ensure message consistency of member value and benefits. Utilize internal and external marketing opportunities developed in tandem with communications to increase membership and revenues.
- Examine member data, periodically review dues structure, identify trends and opportunities to engage and recruit new members and make recommendations to enhance member benefit programs and services.
- Develop relationships with member presidents/chancellors and other senior campus leaders to support engagement goals.
- Provide oversight in monitoring customer service, quality assurance, solicitation and cultivation strategies to increase brand awareness and value.
- Develop performance metrics to evaluate member/customer service satisfaction.
- Responsible for revenue budgets related to membership recruitment, operations and retention.
- Keep informed of developments in the field of membership services to recommend improvements, and advancements to ensure that organization is competitive, efficient, and operates with initiative and innovation, meeting member needs.
- Streamline business processes and optimize membership department organizational effectiveness.
- Oversee membership team efforts and processes to proactively maintain and improve data accuracy and integrity.
- Participate in CRM design phases and participate on cross functional IT/data governance or other similar teams to support high quality member experiences and ensure operational efficiencies.
- Prepare membership reports to inform Board of Directors and/or appointed committees on membership growth and retention.
- Supervise Member Operations and Database Manager
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in Business, Marketing, Communications or other related discipline with five to seven years of relevant experience.
- Member association or non-profit experience desired.
- Experience directing and implementing strategic marketing (membership development) programs, overseeing volunteer programs and development of promotional materials.
- Knowledgeable of strategic membership marketing and communications principles.
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and manage multiple priorities, with strong organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to think critically, demonstrate creativity and innovation with strong interest in delivering a high-quality user experience and customer service.
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently as well as part of a team; experience working on a diverse team.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with various stakeholders.
- Proficiency in an Association Management System (e.g., RiSE/iMIS20 or similar database).
- Ability and willingness to travel periodically as needed.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter describing relevant work and educational experience as a single PDF file, as well as salary requirement, to [email protected]org. Review of applications will begin on December 15, 2020.
AAC&U believes that a broadly diverse staff is critical to achieving excellence as a national higher education association. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We are fully committed to equal employment opportunity and compliance with the full range of fair employment practices and non-discrimination laws.