Student Support Specialist
The University of Denver has the distinction of being the oldest independent university in the Rocky Mountain region, giving it a tradition of over 150 years of academic excellence. The University of Denver's college of professional and continuing studies, University College, is a leader in adult education, providing fully accredited and affordable educational experiences specifically designed for busy adults.
This position will work remote until deemed safe to return to campus.
The Student Services Specialist position serves as the central point of contact between University College and prospective and continuing students, and provides consultation and services for credit and non-credit programs. Areas of responsibility include inquiry follow-up, pre-advising for academic programs, registration support, technical support, and student retention. This is achieved through a consultative approach while using independent judgement to identify and create academic opportunities. The position requires a deep knowledge-base of University College programs, services, resources, policies, and procedures to provide a complete service experience for our students and prospective students. The focus of this position is on building and strengthening relationships with prospective and current, post-traditional learners through the cultivation of a welcoming and inclusive environment, allowing them to achieve their educational goals.
- Serve as a central point of contact for prospective students, applicants, and current students.
- Provide information in response to questions in all areas of University College, including all college programs, services, resources, policies, and procedures.
- Execute proactive outreach to all inquiries, and provide timely and accurate communication of important information to students, faculty, and staff.
- Provide pre-advising and serve as registration resource for students.
- Facilitate basic technical support for students in the scope of university systems and applications.
- Coordinate resources and provide proper hand off to other service areas at University College or the University of Denver to achieve a seamless customer service experience.
- Strengthen relationships with prospective and current students through cultivation of inclusive environment.
- Provide outreach to current students to achieve higher student retention.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of course, programs, and departments and maintain relationships with program liaisons.
- Communicate feedback and express ideas about opportunities to meet student needs. Lead implementations of approved improvements to processes and procedures.
- Manage office space and professional appearance to portray University College as the premier provider of Adult Education.
- Track and utilize data related to prospective student admission applications, new student registration processes, and new student preparations for matriculation at University College.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Interpersonal skills, and ability to work in a team environment.
- Developed organizational skills.
- Ability to read, write and communicate information pertinent to the success in a university environment, such as reports, business correspondence, course descriptions, program proposals, and procedure manuals.
- Strong ability to multitask, to utilize professional judgment, take initiative, meet deadlines, and focus on detail.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- High School Diploma.
- Demonstrated experience in guiding individuals through a decision making process.
- Experience in a customer service role, with communication via in-person interaction, by phone, and by email.
- Bachelors Degree or two years of equivalent office experience.
- Experience working at a university or college and understanding of academic policies and procedures.
- Experience working with adult learners in a service capacity.
- Experience with banner database system.
- Experience using CRM system.
- Familiarity with Tableau data visualization software or similar software.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Tuesday, December 8th, 2020.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
The hourly range for the position is $18.00-$18.74.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.