Ath Acad Coord Stud-Ath Devpmt
Ath Acad Coord Stud-Ath Devpmt
The Athletic Academic Coordinator oversees academic support services for sports teams assigned by the Associate Athletic Director for Academics. As an athletic academic coordinator, this position works closely with student-athletes in the review of class scheduling, tutoring, or study skill needs. The coordinator communicates as needed with appropriate coaching staff regarding student-athlete advising, academic and athletic eligibility issues. The athletics academic coordinator works cooperatively with professional college advisors, the coordinator of athletic eligibility, and Compliance to help ensure student-athlete progress-toward-degree completion according to NCAA, MAC and University of Toledo guidelines.
In addition, the position will serve as the Tutorial Program Coordinator for all student-athletes. The Tutor Program Coordinator will recruit, train, manage, supervise, and evaluate Student-Athlete Academic Services (SAAS) tutors and academic coaches. The position will also coordinate tutoring appointments for student-athletes to meet their needs as well as assist with arranging study hall hour days/times.Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Master’s degree in special education, counseling, education, educational psychology, higher education, social work or similar field preferred.
- Minimum of one (1) to three (3) years of previous experience in the area of student development, teaching, collegiate athletics and/or academic support services.
- Previous experience working with diverse and historically underserved populations preferred.
- Previous experience working with students in a higher education setting preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of NCAA and MAC eligibility rules and regulations required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently, and demonstrate initiative and self-motivation
- Demonstrated ability to engage in culturally competent practice, and effectively establish, interact, and work collaboratively with student-athletes, faculty, staff, coaches, administrators, and university constituents of diverse backgrounds
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Ability to understand and successfully attain project goals and initiatives
- Exercise sound judgment and handle confidential information with discretion and accordance to academic standard and institutional policies including FERPA
- Ability to keep current on campus resources and best practices in support of student-athlete success
- Ability to develop a learning support system individualized to specific student-athletes
- Ability to work collaboratively and multi-task in a fast-paced, team environment
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Coordinating at-risk programs and creating training for academic strategy coaches and tutors is a plus
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the people so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.The University of Toledo is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. The University of Toledo does not discriminate in employment, educational programs, or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, disability, familial status, or political affiliation. The University of Toledo provides reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you require accommodation to complete this application, or for testing or interviewing, please contact the Human Resources Department at 419-530-4747 between the hours of 8:30AM and 5:00PM or apply online for an accommodation request.Computer access is available at most public libraries and at the Office of Human Resources located in the Center for Administrative Support on the Main Campus of the University of Toledo, or at the satellite HR Office located at the Facilities Services Building, Suite 1000 on the Health Science Campus.