Head Teacher Younger Preschool - Essential
Head Teacher Younger Preschool - Essential
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
This wonderfully unique position in the Mills College Children's School, the oldest laboratory school in the West, will be filled by the individual who shares our commitment to inquiry-centered learning for both children and adults. The Mills College Children's School follows a constructivist model of education for infant-toddler through fifth grade programs. Preschool Head Teachers work closely with School of Education faculty to plan and supervise an exemplary curriculum for designated grade levels, use a reflective/inquiry approach to analyze and improve instruction, and supervise Mills College student teachers each semester. The successful candidate will be strongly committed to teaching children and adults and leading teacher-led regional improvement of teaching.
- Curriculum - Plan and implement a curriculum based in the best-available knowledge of children's learning and linked to the Early Childhood foundations and California state frameworks. Regularly work with colleagues of the Children's School and School of Education to study children's classroom learning in order continuously to improve instruction at the school and contribute more broadly to the knowledge base of teaching.
- Student Teachers - Supervise, teach, and evaluate student teachers, supporting their integration of learning theory and classroom practice. This work includes daily evaluation meetings and weekly participation in the Theory and Practice seminar.
- Communication - Maintain active and open communications with parents/guardians of the children and with the other members of the Children's School staff and School of Education faculty. Preschool Head Teachers are full members of the Children's School teaching staff and will participate in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of activities and support of children and student teachers. This includes home visits, parent/teacher conferences, newsletters, parent meetings, and weekly staff meetings. Both written and oral communications skills are essential and valued.
- Professionalism - As a teacher in the laboratory school, the successful candidate will be a member of a team committed to advancing knowledge about teaching and to principled practice. The position is based on the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with professional colleagues, parents, students, and children within a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Perform related duties as needed.
- Three or more years recent successful classroom teaching experience
- Child Development Teacher Permit
- Knowledge of and commitment to a constructivist model of education
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills
- Master's degree in Early Childhood Education or related field
- Ability to exhibit strong service orientation for all levels of College constituencies and members of the public
- Ability to take appropriate steps to promote and sustain effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review).
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://www.mills.edu/policies/ada-policies/nondiscrimination-statement.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter and
- Contact Information for 3 References
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
To apply, visit https://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=124678&CNTRNO=17&TSTMP=0
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency