Data Integration Specialist
Job no: 506669
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: IT Application Services
Pay Grade: 33
Date opened: 20 Nov 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 04 Dec 2020 Eastern Standard Time
The University of Massachusetts Boston is seeking an experienced Data Integration Specialist and Subject Matter Expert to drive automation of processes and deliver the next evolution of our data exchange environment in a diverse and complex operating environment for the campus. The Data Integration Specialist will design and develop interfaces between applications, data warehouses and third-party systems in a combination of cloud and on-premise platforms. They will participate in developing integration strategy, architecture and frameworks for the organization. This role will have great communication skills working in close collaboration with campus internal IT, UMass Systems Office, and business stakeholders to provide integration solutions. This role requires knowledge and experience in data movement best practices to maximize the use of the selected integration tool, process and methods to meet the enterprise and business needs.
The University system has invested in a centralized ETL platform in DELL Boomi.
Initial responsibilities and projects include the ongoing configuration, maintenance and administration and integration services for existing ETL jobs currently within the Boomi platform, which extract, transform, and load data to the Saleforce CRM platform from the University system of record Peoplesoft. Inclusive is input and coordination with our centralized University Systems Office on the technical architecture for the Boston campus within the platform.
Inclusive duties are the migration of pre-existing ETL jobs from Talend to the Boomi platform and the ongoing build of ETL processes which supply data to existing and new SaaS software applications in the longer term, successfully replacing outdated processes and centralizing all ETL processing.
The incumbent will also develop and maintain technical services using numerous resources. Ability to provide strong knowledge of platform features, leading, training and delivery of core processing systems and exercise best practices in the Digital Integration subject area.
Additionally, this person will be a team member working closely with stakeholders and the PMO organization to develop business and technical requirements, coordinating project and operational staff, and delivering solutions based on those requirements. This position will report to the Assistant Vice Chancellor, IT Application Services
Examples of Duties:
- Ownership of administrative and technical aspects of data integration between disparate systems, including data migrations, data quality, data and systems integrations, and 3rd party applications;
- Be a member of the Data Integration Selection Committee and represent the needs and deployment of appropriate technologies to the Boston campus;
- Create and oversee “train the trainer” curriculum to centralized IT and decentralized IT representatives in Academic and Administrative departments across the campus;
- Serve as an internal consultant and data expert for members of the University technical teams and for its internal business partners;
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of the clients’ business strategy, functional objectives, priorities, issues, business model, and value drivers;
- Responsible for implementing customized solutions that support business goals and drive key business decisions;
- Evaluate the applicability of new technologies and make recommendation to significantly influence future technology and/or business strategy;
- Redefine business requirements, set priorities, manage expectations, resolve issues, and work with other members of the technical and administrative teams to deliver solutions;
- The position requires at least three (3) years in data integration administration, additionally business or system analyst roles.
- BS/BA in Science, Engineering, Software Engineering, or Business Field with previous experience in Information Systems or Computer Science.
- Experience in a Higher Education Organization
- In-depth technical and administrative knowledge of the capabilities and constraints of ETL (Export, Transact, and Load) products.
- SQL experience.
- Hands on experience with ETL products.
- Hands-on experience with DELL Boomi is highly desirable.
- Hands-on experience with Talend ETL is desirable.
- Experience with PeopleSoft Student Administration, Finance, and Human Resources ERP and other enterprise or campus-based systems.
- Strong business analysis and functional experience, including requirements gathering, and creating/deploying solutions to end users;
- Ability to critically review feature requests and make alternate proposals as warranted.
- Effective team mentoring skills, knowledge sharing, and processing excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
This position is associated with a Grade 36.
Applications close: 04 Dec 2020 Eastern Standard Time