Department: Student Engagement
Reports To: Director of Health and Wellness
Position Summary: The university nurse attends to the health and medical needs of North Park University students. The nurse serves as a consultant to faculty and staff members on health and wellness issues affecting the student population. The nurse shares administrative support with other personnel in Counseling Support Services. Position is permanent and full time and works August through May each year.
Assess, treat per physician protocols, and follow-up with students to the degree possible and appropriate. This includes:
- providing immunizations and tuberculosis skin testing.
- dispensing first aid and over-the-counter medications.
Serve as the liaison between the University and the Swedish Hospital by
- referring students for care at Swedish Covenant Immediate Care or Swedish Covenant Medical Group.
- consulting with physicians and other staff members.
- transmitting relevant records and authorizations.
- reviewing charges and payments.
Collect and maintain medical and immunization records for the student body, with the assistance of administrative support staff
Monitor institutional compliance with federal and state health requirements and complete associated reports.
Manage the office support personnel to ensure the
- Inventory of medical supplies.
- Preparation and distribution of monthly, semester and annual activity reports.
Support campus community in providing health education and training, as requested. Such as Residence Life and Housing and/or the Wellness Team.
Apprise the University leadership of any potential risks to the college community for communicable disease, including COVID-19
- Assist in educating the campus community about risks and mitigation strategies associated with COVID-19
- Assess students via tele-health when they report any symptoms of or exposure to COVID-19
- Coordinate testing at Swedish Hospital for students who report symptoms of or exposure to COVID-19
- Perform contact tracing along with other staff of students reporting symptoms of COVID-19 or positive test for COVID-19
- Quarantine students with close contacts of students diagnosed with COVID-19 and isolate students with symptoms of COVID-19 or a positive test for COVID-19
Support the mission and goals of the Student Engagement Division by attending regular meetings.
Support the mission and goals of the University and the Student Engagement Division by assuming other responsibilities as assigned by the University Office of the president and the dean of student development.
- A bachelor’s degree and licensure as a registered nurse in the State of Illinois.
- A knowledge of health and wellness issues affecting post-secondary students and an understanding of accepted policies and practices in American higher education related to health center issues.
- Documented evidence of appropriate clinical skills and the ability to provide quality health care.
- A personal commitment to, and appreciation of, the Christian mission of North Park University.
- Sensitivity to multicultural and gender issues and support for diverse and underrepresented populations.
- The ability to effectively coordinate many overlapping tasks.
- An entrepreneurial spirit with proven leadership and managerial abilities.
- Strong customer service orientation and communication skills
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and databases needed.
- Two-five years of experience in an educational setting; health education & wellness program preferred.