Security OfficerPosition Type:
.45Pay Rate (or Annual Salary):
Chabot College, 25555 Hesperian Blvd., Hayward, CA 94545Department:
Campus SecurityJob Summary:
The Chabot College Community
Chabot College is committed to educational equity in its academic programs and college services so that students may achieve their personal, educational, and career goals. Our equity work today builds upon a strong history: the Puente and Umoja programs were first created at Chabot College, and have since been replicated across the state. These programs have paved the way for a series of additional educational and student support programs intentionally focused on equity that thrive at Chabot College today. Chabot College is located in Hayward, California, the third most diverse city in the United States. We serve a highly diverse student population and are proud to be designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution. Information about the demographics of our campus community can be found here.
Serving our diverse community requires a culturally-responsive approach that recognizes the myriad strengths and assets that our students bring to the campus community. We do so by promoting a classroom and co-curricular learning environment that is inclusive, collaborative, engaging, and challenging, and where respect, dignity, and integrity are core values. We see students as producers of knowledge, not just consumers of knowledge. We work to reframe inequities as a problem of practice, and view the elimination of inequities as an individual and institutional responsibility.
Joining Our College Community
We seek equity-minded applicants who demonstrate they understand the benefits diversity brings to an educational community.
We look for applicants who:
1. Value and intentionally promote diversity and consciousness of difference
2. Demonstrate cultural humility and an ongoing desire to improve cultural competence
3. Are dedicated to addressing issues of social justice
4. Accept their shared role and responsibility in addressing opportunity and achievement gaps experienced by students
5. Have experience and success in closing student equity gaps and engaging in equitable practices, or are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about implementing practices that achieve these goals
6. Actively seek to identify, disrupt, and remove institutional and/or systemic barriers that adversely impact historically marginalized communities
7. Empower the underrepresented and underserved
8. Foster students’ potential to become global citizens and socially responsible leaders
9. Believe that all people have the right to an education and work environment free from fear, harassment, or discrimination.
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking a Security Officer for Chabot College in Hayward, California.
This is a protective service occupation. Under general supervision, the employee enforces rules and regulations governing the use of college buildings, grounds and other properties of the College and performs some functions that are clerical in nature. The employee has daily and direct contact with staff and college visitors and works outdoors in all types of weather. Errors in decision could result in injury to the users of District facilities.Representative Duties:
1. Patrols campus grounds either on foot or in a security vehicle; responds to emergencies and various calls for service such as lock-outs, automotive emergencies, etc.; takes reports from citizens
2. Investigates violations, accidents and incidents occurring on campus
3. Enforces rules and regulations governing the use of college buildings and grounds, issuing citations to violators
4. Reviews and makes necessary changes on all incident reports written and distributes reports to proper personnel
5. Performs periodic evaluation of student officers; assists the Security Manager in formulation of policies and procedures relating to Security Services
6. Assists in the training of officers
7. Reviews daily logs, reviews actions of complaints against student officers and administers disciplinary action
8. Reviews and prepares all student time tickets weekly
9. Prohibits the admittance to college premises of unauthorized persons; checks night meetings to ensure that facilities are being used by authorized persons and that the meetings are under control
10. Investigates reports of vandalism; performs various types of follow-up investigations
11. Assists in traffic control at athletic events and special programs
12. Transports funds from special events; makes reports; keeps the daily log
13. Performs other related tasks as assigned.Minimum Education and Experience:
Any combination of the following would provide a typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities.
Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade; AND
One year of experience in law enforcement, plant protection or security.
Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
Possession of a valid California Tear Gas Certificate.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, the 24-hour school security officer course as required by California Education Code 72330.5Minimum Qualifications:
1. Security methods and crowd control techniques
2. Techniques of traffic and parking control
3. Pertinent Federal, State, City and District laws, rules, regulations and policies including laws of removal and/or arrest, legal rights of students and citizens, judicial procedures and rules of evidence
4. Investigating procedures
5. General modern office procedures
6. Basic legal rights of students
7. Emergency procedures
1. Work with and exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the varied racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual orientation, academic, socio- economic, and disabled populations of community college students.
1. Enforcing pertinent policies, rules and regulations
2. Remaining alert and exercising sound judgment while under pressure
3. Interrogating suspects, interviewing complainants and witnesses
4. Patrolling college facilities and recognizing irregularities with regard to people and facilities
5. Following and giving written and oral directions
6. Preparing reports and maintaining records
7. Establishing and maintaining cooperative and effective working relationships with staff; meeting the public with courtesy and tact
8. Emergency procedures (first aid, CPR, crowd control, etc.).Job Work Schedule:
This is a part-time position.18 hours/week, Saturday and Sunday, 1:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m., hours may vary depending on department needs, 12 months/year.Physical Demands and Working Environment:
INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE UNABLE TO CARRY OUT THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION WILL RECEIVE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS TO ENABLE THEM TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.EEO Statement:
It is the policy of this District to provide equal opportunity in all areas of
employment practices and to assure that there shall be no discrimination against
any person on the basis of sex, ancestry, age, marital status, race, religious
creed, mental disability, medical condition (including HIV and AIDS), color,
national origin, physical disability, family or sexual preference status and other
similar factors in compliance with Title IX, Sections 503 and 504 of the
Rehabilitation Act, other federal and state non-discrimination regulations, and its
own statements of philosophy of objectives. The District encourages the filing of
applications by both sexes, ethnic minorities, and the disabled.
01/04/2021Open Until Filled:
NoSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Effective January 1, 2015, for work performed on the graveyard shift by employees regularly assigned to the shift, the differential shall be three percent (3%). For work performed on the swing shift by employees regularly assigned to the shift, the differential shall be two percent (2%).
An employee who receives a shift differential premium on the basis of their regularly assigned shift shall suffer no reduction in pay, including differential, when assigned temporarily to a day shift for twenty (20) working days or less.Notification to Applicants:
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised positionInstructions for Personal Qualifications Statement:
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.