Clinical Coder II
Job no: 515124
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Health Profession
Department:29050105 - MD-MED CENTRAL-OTHER
Advertised: 18 Nov 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 24 Nov 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Clinical Coder IIJob Description:
The Department of Medicine, Administration is seeking a Clinical Coder II. This position is responsible for coding and billing of professional medical fees for all faculty physicians in the Department of Medicine, Division of Hospital Medicine. This involves extracting billable services from the patient charts and applying appropriate CPT and ICD-10 codes and then entering these services in the EPIC billing system for submission. This position works closely with faculty, fellows and the residents in the respective Divisions to provide education on correct coding, proper documentation to maximize physician reimbursement, and ensure compliance with federal and state regulations.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Reviews provider progress and procedure reports through EPIC for extraction of billable services for all patients (inpatients and observation short stays) for the division of Hospital Medicine within the Department of Medicine.
- Applies appropriate CPT and ICD-10 codes and confirms adequate teaching provider documentation such as attestations and time-based statements.
- Responsible for charge data entry into EPIC Resolute while ensuring clean claim submission to include working any edits that Charge Review may generate.
- Creates and maintains coding/documentation training materials and participates in providing guidance and education to providers individually or in groups in regards to documentation, reimbursement, and compliance.
- Provides feedback to providers regarding documentation issues that can impact reimbursement.
- Researches coding issues through all available resources, including but not limited to professional associations, federal and private payer guidelines, and coding networks.
Informs Coordinators and faculty of important changes in coding and reimbursement.
- Assists Division Coordinator in researching reimbursement and billing issues and assists in designing and implementing billing procedures.
- Reviews and updates physician encounter forms annually.
- Attends continuing education courses, seminars, conferences, and meetings.
- Prioritizes work assignments based on urgency and deadlines.
- Works cooperatively with Departmental and Divisional billing staff to resolve backlog and provide back-up coverage of billing functions for vacations and illnesses of other billing staff members.
- Serves as a liaison to multiple internal and external entities including, but not limited to:
• Department of Medicine
• Other Divisions within the Department of Medicine
• Hospitalist physicians
• University of Florida Physicians (UFP)
• Compliance Office
• Referring physicians, patients, and patients’ families
• Constantly strives to represent the Division, Department, and University in a positive, courteous, and professional manner.
• Other duties as assigned.
$19.00 - $21.00/hourlyMinimum Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent and three years of professional medical coding experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience. Certified Professional Coder (CPC)/ American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS-P) required.Preferred Qualifications:
Knowledge of anatomy, medical terminology, CPT and ICD-10 coding
• Personal computer skills
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to handle confidential material in compliance with HIPAA.
• Proficiency in data entry
Upload CV for consideration for this position.
This is a time-limited position.
If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD-214, along with any other appropriate documentation to support your claim, with your application for consideration.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required: