Academic Advisor I
Job no: 515106
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Academic Advising/Support
Department:17070100 - BA-ISOM BUSINESS OFFICE
Advertised: 19 Nov 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 03 Dec 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Academic Advisor IJob Description:
This position serves as Academic Advisor I for the Information Systems and Operations Management (ISOM) Master of Science (MS) and Combined Degree (CD) programs in the Hough Graduate School of Business (MSISOM). More specifically, this position will provide academic advisement and support services for current and prospective graduate students in the ISOM Department. Overall, the academic advisors are responsible for providing general information and academic counseling. This includes, but is not limited to, orientation, probation, admissions and monitoring graduation progress. Knowledge of the student records system is required. A successful candidate will have excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment. This position reports to the MSISOM Associate Director.
Student Advising for the MSISOM Program
- Counsels with students to provide academic and general information to current and prospective students interested in MSISOM majors and certificates.
- This includes areas of course schedules and registration, tracking, probation, career coaching, and the petitions process.
- Will work with students during advising appointments.
- Will be available for walk-in advising.
- Will respond to e-mail for advising.
- Maintain academic files
- Communicate with campus advisors regarding student progress for combined degree and/or concurrent degree students
- Process forms for all combined degree, traditional master’s degree and/or concurrent students
- Meet with students to develop academic plans or timelines and advise them on program requirements, policies and deadlines
- Conduct degree audits for all graduating students
- Handle curricular practical training (CPT) and optional practical training (OPT) paperwork for international students who pursue off campus internships or temporary employment
Admissions and Incoming Student Support.
- Aids with all aspects of admission review and onboarding new students.
- Aids in interviewing potential students. This may involve travel and/or interviews via skype.
- Makes admission decisions and updates in the applicant/student database and in in SLATE if applicable.
- Prepares admission letters and emails them to students.
- Sends information to new students regarding preparing for the program, registration and orientation.
- Answers questions or refer applicants/new students to other offices for answers regarding the certificate of financial responsibility, housing, the I-20, immunization requirements, health insurance and registration/holds, etc.
- Aids in delivering information sessions on the program.
- Coordinates the logistical aspects of orientation each semester, including aiding in planning the agenda, reserving the locale, ordering catering, facilitating presenters and presenting on academic requirements.
Normal Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm. Occasional evening and weekend events and travel for recruitment purposes if needed.Expected Salary:
$46,000 - $49,000 commensurate with experienceMinimum Requirements:
Master’s degree in education, counseling, or an academic field directly related to the advisor’s area of responsibility; or a bachelor’s degree in education, counseling, or an academic field directly related to the advisor’s area of responsibility and one year of relevant experience.Preferred Qualifications:
A successful candidate will have the following skills: knowledge of the student records system, excellent written and oral communication skills, and the ability to work in a team environment.Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position is open to current UF employees only
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required: