Open Rank - Cybersecurity
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-11-18
The University of Virginia (UVA) seeks applicants for multiple open rank, tenured or tenure-track faculty positions in fields related to Cyber Security. These faculty positions have the flexibility of appointments among multiple schools/departments across the University. The successful applicants will be expected to engage in active research, teach at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and perform service for the institution and professional organizations. Rank, tenure-status, and compensation are contingent upon experience. UVA has a strong culture of collaboration and collegiality and is committed to creating collaborative environments necessary to solve the next generation of research challenges.
All relevant areas of research will be considered, including but not limited to:
- Foundations: Theory of security and privacy, models of trust, models of risk, methods of secure communication and computation, cryptography, threat modeling, anonymity-based models, and knowledge hiding models.
- Secure Systems: secure operating systems, databases, networks, secure distributed systems, secure cloud systems, secure web browsers, hardware security, embedded systems, and mobile devices.
- Privacy: Data and computation privacy, anonymization techniques for users and their data, and private information retrieval.
- Security and Privacy Applications: Cyber-physical systems, computer forensics, malware analysis, vulnerability analysis, human-centric security, law and public policy, electronic commerce.
- Behavioral Security: predictive and analytical behavior modeling, sociotechnical security, social and cognitive psychology approaches, building organizational resilience.
- Cyber Resilience: Systems modeling and analytical tools to support design of systems that are resilient to cyber-attack.
- Machine learning in cybersecurity: deep learning practically applied to network intrusion detection systems, cyber threat hunting at global scale through analysis.
Applicants must have a PhD by the time of appointment, a record of excellence in research, as appropriate for the candidate's rank, a commitment to teaching excellence, and a commitment to the promotion of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Tenured appointments require documented excellence in research and teaching, and an emerging national reputation.
Please apply online at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com and attach the following required applicant documents:
a cover letter, including a summary of research interests and accomplishments, and potential UVA collaboration a detailed curriculum vitae a summary of your five-year research plan and prior research accomplishments, a statement of teaching philosophy, a statement describing your experience working with a diverse student body, as well as your past, present, and/or future contributions to creating/advancing a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the link referenced above.
Review of applications will begin on December 19, 2020 and will remain open until filled. The successful applicant is expected to start in August 25, 2021 or at a date of mutual agreement.
The University will perform background checks on all new faculty hires prior to making a final offer of employment.
For questions about the position, please contact Peter Beling, Faculty Search Chair, at email@example.com.
For questions about the application process, please contact Rich Haverstrom, Faculty Search Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University assists UVA faculty spouses and partners seeking employment in the Charlottesville area. To learn more about these services, please see http://provost.virginia.edu/dual-career.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.