Assistant Manager for Custodial Services, Department of Facilities and Campus Services
Job location: Winston Salem, NC
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-11-18
- Additional documentation must be added at the bottom of the third screen under the "My Experience."
- Internal candidates must apply via the internal career portal. Do not proceed with your application from this website.
- DO NOT complete the application without the required attachments as you will be unable to edit your application.
- Responsible for leadership, staffing and management of personnel.
- Oversees custodial cleaning operations under the direction of the manager of custodial services.
- Counsels with supervisors and building leads to discuss problem areas and identify means of improvements.
- Participates with other members of the management team and University partners in planning and the design of new programs, projects, summer floor care, etc.
- Performs inspections, and coordinates with the necessary departments to meet the expectations and timelines of the customer.
- Coordinates campus projects with other managers to ensure expectations are met.
- Ensures that outside contractors are properly supervised.
- Keeps current on techniques and cleaning methods to ensure cleanliness and hygiene of campus interiors.
- Promotes cooperation and commitment within the team to achieve goals and deliverables.
- Visit with faculty and students who may be experiencing a housekeeping problem and facilitate corrective action.
- Manages and maintains a close working relationship with Residence Life and Housing personnel with respect to modifications, summer maintenance programs and custodial related service issues.
- Establishes long and short range goals for each of the activities managed.
- Oversees other special projects as directed by management.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Working knowledge of custodial practices, supplies, and equipment related to campus Facilities.
- Strong organizational skills including prioritizing, keeping track of information or work in progress, ensuring accuracy, multi-tasking, flexibility, and handling interruptions appropriately.
- Ability to supervise and direct custodial supervisors and other personnel daily.
- Ability to work effectively and positively with individuals of diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Knowledge of related safety and sanitation standards for Custodians. Ensures compliance with OSHA/ ADA.
- Ability to practice effective communication skills orally and in writing with internal and external customers.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in computer use including Google Suite, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and
- PowerPoint) and other relevant software.
- Ability to work flexible schedule, including nights and weekends and holidays.
- Ability to operate and drive golf cart and other vehicles.
- Valid driver license with good driving record; must be insurable.
Physical Requirements: climbing, stooping, kneeling, standing, walking either within your respective areas or between areas on campus, lifting up to 50 pounds, pushing, pulling, and grasping. Ability to adapt quickly and accept change.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
AS/AA degree plus five years experience in operations and supervision, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Works under minimal supervision.
- Reports to the Manager, Custodial Services.
- Recommends personnel actions, including hiring and disciplinary actions.
This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot
encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required
to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably
assigned by his/her supervisor.