Data Analyst, Career Advancement and Graduate Business Programs Admissions
Job location: Coral Gables, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-11-18
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Data Analyst provides strategic business and data analysis for Miami Herbert Business School (MHBS). The focus of this position is to work closely with departments throughout MHBS and the University to gain in-depth understanding of the school’s, as well as the overall University’s business strategy, processes, services, roadmap and the context in which MHBS operates. This role will be key to understanding and developing data analysis capabilities needed to address business challenges.
- Act as the subject matter expert in data driven processes and provide leadership in this area to team members and peers by collaborating with others; articulating ideas and viewpoints to all levels; identifying and initiating projects; managing resources; driving the resolution of issues; and holding self and team accountable for results.
- Collaborate with multiple departments throughout the University, particularly MHBS IT and University of Miami Information Technology (UMIT) to gather, interpret, and communicate business requirements needed for IT-lead system modifications, integrations, enhancements and implementations.
- Support department heads in their analytical needs to help them make data-driven decisions by preparing, analyzing and presenting data under the format of dashboards and trackers.
- Understand key business objectives to support analysis and solution definition.
- Work within a cross-functional team to design reports, dashboards, storyboards and visual representation of both internal and external datasets.
- Assess business processes in order to identify opportunities for increased efficiencies.
- Analyze and synthesize business requirements, including recognizing patterns and conceptualizing processes.
- Understand and negotiate needs and expectations of multiple stakeholders.
- Manage, manipulate and analyze large volumes of data and interpret into meaningful reports and dashboards.
- Collaborate with business stakeholders to define scope and priorities for multiple concurrent technology or data initiatives (new enhancements and ongoing maintenance).
- Lead or participate in multiple projects by completing and updating project documentation; managing project scope; adjusting schedules when necessary; determining daily priorities; ensuring efficient and on-time delivery of project tasks and milestones; following proper escalation paths; and stakeholder and departmental relationships
- Identify, create and facilitate process design changes. Design changes can include complex enhancements or integrations that require: conducting business and systems process analysis; focusing on quality improvement and data management; ensuring data is reliable and valid; developing process improvements or re-engineering and recommending elimination; integrating new systems and processes with existing ones; and partnering with internal and external customers to ensure systems provided meet the long-term business strategies.
- Assist with and test implementation for all payer and vendor relationships to ensure data transfer collection, quality and reporting relationships are working appropriately down to the market level to ensure market team member and provider experience is appropriate.
- Provide project level analysis, as needed, producing required project analysis documentation.
- Collaborate closely with developers to assist in the implementation of project requirements.
- Identify improvement opportunities (proactive and reactive).
- Identify ways to increase user adoption and customer satisfaction. Train end users to effectively use data visualizations and reporting tools and customize reports based on the functional, local needs of the users.
- Utilize data to make actionable recommendations at all levels.
- Ensure that project/department milestones and goals are met and adhering to approved budgets.
- Exhibit flexibility and willingness to take on new responsibilities and assignments as identified and to assist with various ad hoc analyses and modeling as needed.
- Remain up to date with new technologies to identify opportunities to improve business intelligence processes.
Areas of Focus:
The Data Analyst will support department heads in their analytical needs to help them make data-driven decisions by preparing, analyzing and presenting data under the format of dashboards and trackers. Three areas of focus include:
Admissions and Marketing:
- Develop, implement, and maintain automated reports on key results and performance metrics to support and improve marketing decisions.
- Champion data-first approach to marketing, always looking for more meaningful ways to engage with our customers.
- Provide robust insights into digital behavior of our end-users and make strategic recommendations on ways to best engage them.
- Performing in-depth analysis of the customer database as well as providing deep customer journey analytics.
- Be a key driver in bringing innovative ideas to the table that are backed by robust analysis, models and insights.
- Design and develop automated dashboards from various data sources to closely monitor business KPIs, uncover industry trends and insights to optimize spending and measure ROI.
- Monitor performance indicators of admissions and operations functions, identifying causes/trends and drive data-based decision making through creation of insightful reports.
- Aggregate data from multiple data sources to provide a complete picture and tell a story of the market and customer experience.
- Create marketing analytics to acquire new customers more efficiently: analyze customer flow and ensure all measures will lead to conversion and marketing campaign effectiveness.
- Interpret results of promotions and processes, making valuable suggestions to raise future performance.
Programs and Advising:
- Develop, implement, and maintain automated reports on key results and performance metrics to support and improve program/advising level reporting.
Career Advancement Center
- Evaluate career events and propose changes to ensure most effective allocation of resources
- Lead the collection of placement data for students and alumni. Collect and report placement data for internships and full-time opportunities
- Maintain accurate records and statistical information on programs attended by students, alumni and employers for rankings and marketing
- Work in partnership with Ziff Career Advancement to ensure data is accurate
- Bachelor in Business, Engineering or related field required, with 5 years’ work experience. Master in Business Analytics or related field preferred. A combination of relevant education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated fluency in business processes and process differentiation.
- Must have experience working on large scale projects as well as handling day-to-day operational requests from the business.
- Strong project management, ability to successfully manage multiple tasks at any given point, strong relationship building skills & communication skills
- Understanding of business processes, data collection, system integration, workflows, reports, and dashboards.
- Data analysis – Must have proficiency with Salesforce Sales Cloud, Salesforce Marketing Cloud, SQL, as well as understanding of various other platforms and their interoperability and ability to integrate into an end-to-end solution and provide a complete view of the data throughout.
- Ability to set priorities and objectives, then plan, organize, and manage the work in order to meet time/schedule constraints
- Strong organization skills
- Superior problem-solving skills, in both ambiguous and tactical situations, and a bias for action
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions
- Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze, organize and prioritize work under pressure while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
- Proficiency in computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office)
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c106