Under the general supervision of the Medical Physicist, the Dosimetry Associate is primarily responsible for processing digital radiation therapy data received via sFTP. S/he will review and evaluate radiation therapy treatments of patients on specific protocols. S/he participates in special research projects as needed.
The Dosimetry/Physics Division of QARC is responsible for the evaluation of protocol patient’s radiation therapy treatment planning and delivery; development and review of institution credentialing exercises (benchmarks); development and review of protocols; and publication of data from the clinical research studies of interest to the medical physics/medical dosimetry community. The radiation therapy data received at QARC can be submitted electronically as digital files. The files must be processed in order to be reviewed at QARC.
- Processes Digital RT data received at QARC. Imports the files into CERR or RRT or other viewing software. Notifies QARC CRA that data are imported
- Reviews protocol patient's treatment charts on select protocols. Extracts pertinent data, enters data into the computerized patient database and compares the results of the patient's treatment with the protocol requirements. Writes a description of any deviation to be included in the evaluation summary.
- Participates in QARC Review Meetings, interacts with the physicians answering questions as they relate to the patient's treatment, set-up, and treatment plan; summarizes and presents the details of each patient's treatment.
- Participates in special physics research and development projects. These projects may include retrospective chart or benchmark reviews. On occasion may provide assistance in the clinical setting to develop new benchmarks.
- Assists in writing user manuals, training articles and other training materials for the users at QARC and at remote sites.
- Provides back-up coverage to set up sFTP accounts when IS staff are not available.
- Develop working guidelines for internal benchmarking reviews. Assist in computerization of benchmark evaluation data.
- Works with Data Management staff at QARC assisting to process radiation therapy data both digital and hard copy formats. Performs data checks to confirm what data are needed to complete required data submission per protocol.
- Attends - QARC staff meetings and on occasion may be able to attend National Cooperative Group Meetings.
- Assists Project and Data Management staff in preparation for the on-site and virtual Review Meetings. This includes previewing all of the patient's Radiotherapy and Diagnostic imaging to assure that a complete set is available and organized.
- May interact with staff at Imaging and Radiation Oncology Core (IROC) Houston to determine credentialing or other site information.
- May review new protocols in development and contribute to improvement in the writing of the dosimetry of these protocols and new model protocols.
- Participate in continuing education and quality improvement processes.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Works cooperatively and communicates with all staff and external stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree in physics or physical science. Candidates with other degrees will be considered, if they have related work experience, for example radiotherapy treatment planning.
- 0-2 years related experience.
- Computer skills including proficiency in relational databases.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Normal visual acuity.
- Master’s degree in physics or physical science