Certified Medical Assistant - NMI (Sewell Campus)
Welcome to Rowan University’s Career Site
Rowan University is a Carnegie-classified Doctoral University (Moderate Research Activity) with approximately 19,000 students. Its main campus is located in Glassboro, N.J., 20 miles southeast of Philadelphia, with additional campuses in Camden and Stratford. The University comprises seven academic colleges and five schools—the William G. Rohrer College of Business; the Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering; the Ric Edelman College of Communication & Creative Arts, the Colleges of Education, Humanities and Social Sciences, Performing Arts, and Science and Mathematics; the Cooper Medical School of Rowan University; the Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine; the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences; the School of Health Professions; and the School of Earth and Environment—with an Honors College that spans across disciplines. Rowan is one of two public universities in the country to offer M.D. and D.O. medical degree programs. The institution is also home to the South Jersey Technology Park, which fosters the translation of applied research into commercial products and processes. Rowan has been recognized as one of the top 90 public research universities and the 7th fastest growing research institution in the nation.
Rowan University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, ancestry, nationality, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability status, liability for military service, protected veteran status, affectional or sexual orientation, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing), or any other category protected by law. For the complete Rowan University non-discrimination and affirmative action policy see: https://sites.rowan.edu/equity/_docs/policies/eeo-statement.pdf.
Rowan University is committed to assisting all members of the Rowan community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available on the Department of Public Safety website at: https://sites.rowan.edu/publicsafety/_docs/annual_security_report.pdf
If you would like to receive a hard copy of the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report which contains this information, you can stop by the Department of Public Safety Office, located at Bole Hall Annex, 201 Mullica Hill Road, Glassboro, NJ 08028 or you can request that a copy be mailed to you by calling (856) 256-4562 or 4506. The report contains information regarding campus security and personal safety including topics such as: crime prevention, public safety authority, crime reporting policies, fire safety, disciplinary procedures and other matters of importance related to security on campus. The report also contains information about fire statistics in Rowan University Residential Facilities and crime statistics for the three previous calendar years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by the University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus. This information is required by federal law, Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act or "Clery Act" and is provided by the Rowan University Department of Public Safety.
All positions are contingent upon budget appropriations.
Please send inquiries to [email protected]
Certified Medical Assistant - NMI (Sewell Campus)
Job no: 494825
Work type: Regular full time
Location: Washington Township, New Jersey
Performs medical, clerical, and reception duties to support the physician in the examination and treatment of the patient in an outpatient setting. Performs duties in support of the University’s and the School’s mission in accordance with all applicable policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Checks patients in and out through Centricity Business/IDX.
- Verifies demographics and insurance information and updates accordingly in the billing system.
- Verifies patient’s insurance through insurance lists and/or via insurance websites.
- Collects appropriate co-pays and/or balances from patients.
- Retrieves referrals for appropriate visits and enters into Centricity Business/IDX.
- Completes batches as scheduled and prepares the deposit for pickup.
- Answers the telephone with a pleasant and helpful demeanor.
- Schedules patient appointments through Centricity Business/IDX to maximize use of the physician and staff time.
- Assist patients with scheduling appointments for outside physicians and hospital/ancillary services.
- Triages messages and provides assistance to patients and/or parents/guardians within scope of training and experience. Routes other calls to appropriate personnel, i.e., clinical staff, physician, etc. Directs calls that require immediate attention to the appropriate person.
- Inputs messages into EMR system, as appropriate.
- Calls for pre-authorization and pre-certifications as required by the patient’s insurer.
- Coordinates requests for prescriptions from patients, provides information in chart to physician, telephones in prescription to the pharmacy as directed by the physician, and makes notation in the patient chart with date and signature.
- Completes or prepares reports and copies of chart for outside agencies.
- Scans all appropriate correspondence and patient related information into patient chart in EMR.
- Prepares charts/paperwork for new patient appointments.
- Handles incoming and outgoing mail.
- Prepares charts for next day’s visits, including but not limited to, pulling, NJRx reports and preparing orders for Drug Screens as appropriate.
- Maintains a professional and orderly office appearance.
- Opens and closes office as assigned by supervisor.
- Prepares patients for visits including: rooming them, taking history, chief complaint, weight, blood pressure and pulse, and documenting appropriately in EMR.
- If certain orders or tests are required at the time of visit, i.e., drug screen, makes sure patient is following treatment plan and completing test. (See separate office protocols).
- Performs EKGs as needed.
- Follows office protocol for different areas of treatment provided within the institute.
- Assures patient’s outside testing and/or consults are in the chart for physician review with the patient.
- Assists the physician with patient care and chaperoning as needed.
- As directed by physician, prepares injections to be administered by the physician.
- Prepares and cleans the exam room for patient visits.
- Maintains the office and medical supply inventory.
- Maintains and cleans and sterilizes office medical equipment as required.
- Always treats others with compassion, dignity, and respect.
- Attends all mandatory in-service and trainings as directed.
- Maintains a customer-focused approach to all activities.
- Maintains competence in all applicable in all applicable office computer systems.
- Supports and adheres to the University policies regarding HIPPA and confidentiality.
- Understands and adheres to legacy RowanSOM compliance standards as they appear in the Corporate Compliance Policy, Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest Policy.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Graduation of a post-secondary medical assisting education program accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Current certification from the Certifying Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), or registration from the American Medical Technologists (AMT), or the National Center for Competency Training (NCCT), or any recognized certifying body approved by the Board. Applicants may be licensed in the State of New Jersey in another classification permitted by regulations to give intramuscular and subcutaneous injections. Must have attained a satisfactory level of comprehension and experience in the administration of intramuscular and subcutaneous injection techniques. At least one (1) year of related experience in a medical office setting preferred. The ability to work independently, excellent communication skills, organizational skills, and flexibility required.
Must be able to stand and sit for long periods of time. Must be able to manipulate medical equipment and supplies. Must be able to communicate well with internal and external customers, often under stressful circumstances.
NOTE:Only completed, online applications submitted on or before the deadline will be considered.
Advertised: Nov 18 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Dec 2 2020 11:55 PM Eastern Standard Time