Financial Aid Counselor
Lynn University is an innovative, global and personalized college based in Boca Raton, Florida. Our 3,000 students are from approximately 100 countries. Our NCAA Division II Fighting Knights athletics program has won 25 national championships (and counting!)
The Chronicle of Higher Education consistently recognizes us as a "Great College to Work For" with high scores in compensation and benefits; work/life balance; job satisfaction; respect and appreciation, and more.
Lynn University is seeking candidates for the position of Financial Aid Counselor. Reporting to the Director of Financial Aid, the Financial Aid Counselor awards students' financial aid, processes and advises students on all aspects of financial aid with all applicable institutional, state, federal regulations as with the mission and goal of the University. The Financial Aid Counselor provides high quality administrative services and support for the office, its staff and contacts, and performs services to support an active, student-oriented campus environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Award student financial aid, process, and advises students on all aspects of financial aid. The Financial Aid Counselor is also responsible for the management of the Accounts Receivable with the primary goal of decreasing delinquent accounts receivable and increasing earlier payments. Call students that are missing information or documents to expedite processing. Assist in special projects such as reports and filling in for other positions during vacations.
- Perform verifications.
- Evaluate and make independent decisions in relation to unusual cases, special requests, and verification issues.
- Release Aid.
- Award students.
- Update all pertinent loan information in PowerFaids prior to origination.
- Adjust loan amounts and dates when returns are required.
- Contact students for missing forms for financial aid as back up.
- Contact students that have paid a deposit but have not sent in their ISIR.
- Contact students that we have sent a package and we have not heard any response.
- Counseling students/parents about financial aid and financing options.
- Answer phone calls concerning financial aid and account balances.
- Assist with front counter as needed.
- Recalculations (as needed).
- Fill in for other positions during vacations.
- Develop and maintain the A/R list on debts outstanding pertaining to Financial Aid pending.
- Graduate/withdrawn worksheets.
- Assist with registration process.
- Verify enrollment rosters against our files and revise awards if change of hours during drop/add period.
- Conduct F/A informational meeting as requested and attend Open Houses and Financial Aid Nights.
- Study Abroad Transcript Review after completion of the term.
- Involved in Senior Salute and Fall Send Off events.
- Assist in F/A reapplication process.
- Letter to all non-renew and non-pre-reg FAFSA students.
- Standards of Academic Progress letters to students on probation or termination.
- Assist with audit and FISAP.
- Assist the Director, Executive Director and Assistant Director as requested.
- Attend Seminars, conferences, webinars and other training opportunities.
- Work flex or extra hours during peak periods.
- Assist in any function in relation to the operation of the Student Financial Services Dept.
- Perform Entrance and Exit interviews.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Personal Characteristics
- Knowledge of financial aid federal/state regulations.
- Excellent interpersonal, cross-cultural, communication, leadership and organizational skills.
- Ability to be empathetic with families/students in regards to finances.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems efficiently and effectively independently.
- Ability to learn and apply institutional policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office tools and ability to become familiar with financial aid software programs.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team environment.
- Must be detail oriented and able to prioritize work effectively.
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university required.
- Two or more years progressive Financial Aid and higher education experience required. Consideration will not be given to candidates without direct college financial aid experience.
- Experience with COD and NSLDS Systems.
- Proficiency in Spanish preferred.
Accreditation and equal opportunity
Lynn University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, pregnancy, parenting status, veteran status or retirement status in its activities and programs. In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Lynn University does not discriminate on the basis of sex. Inquiries concerning the application of the non-discrimination policy may be directed to the Lynn University Compliance Officer/Title IX Coordinator at 3601 N. Military Trail, Boca Raton, FL 33431, [email protected], or +1 561-237-7727; or to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights.
Lynn University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, master's and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call +1 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Lynn University. 2020 Lynn University
Americans with Disabilities Act
Please notify us at least five days in advance if a reasonable accommodation for a disability is needed by calling +1 561-237-7639.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with the Clery Act, the University annually provides a report to each student and current employee, as well as to prospective employees and students, that provides a detailed disclosure of information regarding campus security practices (including Emergency Response Plan, Timely Warnings, Emergency Warnings, Missing Persons, fire safety policies, fire prevention data, and Crime Log policies), as well as crime and fire-related incident statistics for the preceding year. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at lynn.edu/securityreport
For your health, Lynn University is now smoke- and tobacco-free.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.