Financial Manager (7710U) - CED
Financial Manager (7710U) - CED About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 12/3/20
The College of Environmental Design (CED) is comprised of faculty, students and staff with an impressive set of backgrounds and talents. We believe in the importance of supporting an inclusive environment that values community and builds its strength from a diversity of views and expertise. There are approximately 50 faculty, 1000 undergraduate and graduate majors, and approximately 50 total staff. The college budget is approximately $28M. CED is a multifaceted academic unit, with three departments (architecture, city & regional planning, and landscape architecture & environmental planning); undergraduate, professional graduate and doctoral programs; a suite of highly regarded summer design institutes; widely recognized environmental design archives; extensive computing and fabrication facilities; several administrative and student affairs departments; and a building with auditoria, classrooms, studios, labs, research centers, library, and a cafe.
More information about the College can be found at: https://ced.berkeley.edu/
Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Finance & Administration, the Finance Manager for CED serves as the principal manager of financial analysis and services for the dean's office of the College of Environmental Design and the college's three departments - Architecture, Landscape Architecture and City and Regional Planning.
- The Finance Manager creates and maintains tools to manage the permanent and temporary budgets and financial operations of the college and uses advanced professional concepts and campus objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways. The Finance Manager works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors and exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. In addition, the finance manager directs Dean's Office financial activities involving a wide variety of fund types and restrictions; includes accounting, internal control, budgets, decision support, management information reporting, disbursements, receipts and cash handling in compliance with UC policies and procedures.
Budget & Financial Analytical Support (40%):
- Provide analytical support for highly complex budget, financial, and resource projects dealing directly with major department managers
- Designs and provides analytical studies, summary reports and background materials for college and department administrative officers and managers for financial plans, including annual resource allocation approaches, trended future requirements, operating forecasts, sources and uses that have a significant impact on the college and the individual departments.
- Apply advanced professional concepts to perform complex technical analysis to understand past performance and determine present and future performance and/or resource allocations.
Financial & Resource Research (20%):
- Perform highly complex financial or resource research and studies for the college's individual departments.
- Generate and modify new financial or other resource reports
- Assist in strategic planning and modeling, analyzing and forecasting staff/faculty salary budgets, contracts, grants, gifts, endowments, or user fees.
- Make recommendations for maximizing financial or other resource outcomes.
Applies Financial Services Concepts (20%):
- Applies financial services concepts (i.e., accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, collections and billing) and human resource concepts relating to payroll, to resolve issues, and prepare business process procedures and policy recommendations
- Prepares budgets, tracks expenses and oversees the use of chartstrings.
- Responsible for administering grants, private gifts, endowments, research funds and coordinating extramural funding.
Financial Data & Transactions (20%):
- Reviews, processes, and approves financial data and transactions.
- Advanced knowledge of and ability to apply/interpret system wide finance policies, practices and systems. Demonstrated successful experience with highly complex financial and budgetary structures and the ability to identify and analyze information from a variety of sources. Direct knowledge of specific functions in the campus budget and financial management information systems (CalPlanning, CalAnswers). Analytical and technical skills to manage and evaluate data. Information gathering and synthesis, evaluation of options, and presentation of solutions to meet the needs of various groups in the college. Requires ability to present complex finance related information in a clear and concise manner, both in writing and verbally. Excellent critical thinking and strategic management skills; high-level, independent project/analytical ability; proven ability to synthesize large amounts of complex, qualitative information, formulate and articulate far-reaching policy and procedural recommendations, and produce quality, professional work. Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Master's degree preferred.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
- This is an exempt, monthly paid position.
- The designated salary is $93,000; However, the annual salary is commensurate with experience.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=13015&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency