Student: Transportation Driver
Student: Transportation DriverRequisition Number:
3J5SE: Student EmploymentWork Location:
Lexington, KYOn Campus/Off Campus:
Off CampusSalary Range:
$11.73 to $14.28Type of Position:
StudentPosition Time Status :
Part-TimeHours per Week:
40 hours per week
You must be a current UK student to apply to this position.
The Driver provides reliable and courteous transportation to customer with safety as a top priority. May act as a peer counselor and provide a communication link between customers and staff. Operates and maintains assigned vehicle.
- Regulates heating, lighting and ventilating systems for passenger.
- Complies with local traffic regulations.
- Inspects and repairs vehicle to maintain gas, oil, water, and tires before departure.
- Assists residents with loading and unloading baggage.
- Transports resident between pickup points and buildings.
- Assists passengers, including handicapped, in and out of the vehicle, operates ramps, lifts and secure devices as needed.
- Prior to departure, reads and interprets maps and driving directions to plan the most efficient route service for customers, and reads and interprets road signs in English.
- Maintains accurate, up-to-date records on trip sheets, customer transportation forms, vehicle maintenance, fuel purchases, incident reports, accident reports, vehicle condition reports, and other records that are requested from management.
- Coordinates the schedule for major or periodic vehicle maintenance with management and staff to minimize service interruptions.
- Responds immediately to accident or medical emergencies by notifying emergency response providers, and rendering First Aid until emergency personnel arrive.
- Maintains defensive driving.
- Ensures self and occupants have property safety restraints in place while driving.
- May escort or assist passengers from vehicle to destination.
- Schedules group and individual trips in cooperating with activities department, receptionist, services coordinator and others.
- Keeps the assigned vehicle clean inside and outside.
- Performs minor maintenance tasks on assigned vehicles as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to drive a multi-passenger vehicle safely and appropriately, including the ability to read and interpret road signs in English.
- Ability to read, understand, and adhere to the rules and regulations of the Federal Transit Administration and United States Department of Transportation.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish effective professional relationships with customers, co-workers, and upper level staff and employees.
- Ability to prepare concise and accurate records and reports.
- Knowledge of the operations and features of assigned vehicles.
- Ability to recognize vehicle needs & perform minor vehicle repairs.
- Skilled reasoning skills to interpret policies and procedures, maps, and route directions.
- Ability to administer First Aid.
- 2 years of driving experience required with no record of reckless driving, DUI, or other vehicle infractions that would lead to concern of safety.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Class C License preferred.
- Frequently communicates with employees, residents, family members, etc.
- Occasionally lifts objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Frequently remains in a standing position.
- Frequently stoops, kneels, or bends when assisting residents and co-workers with resident needs.
- Must be able to use all body limbs up to 100 percent capacity.
- Frequently works in a well-lit or dimly-lit, tempered room.
12/18/2020University Community of Inclusion:
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.Anticipated Start Date: