10017800 Assistant Professor of Art/Visual Communication
Faculty Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsSchool/Department: Department of Media, Culture & the Arts Primary Location: Macon Position: Faculty Job Type: Full Time Position Close Date: Until Filled Description:
JOB SUMMARY: Middle Georgia State University (MGA), a Unit of the University System of Georgia (USG), invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Art position to support its new BA in Applied Art and Design. Recently approved by the USG Board of Regents, this innovative, professionally-focused, new degree program offers specialized tracks in Visual Communication and Film that are specifically aligned to the graphic arts, advertising, and film production industries. The new degree program is housed in MGA’s new School of Arts & Letters, which also has a related BA in New Media and Communications.
The available Associate Professor of Art position will support the Visual Communication track of the BA in Applied Art and Design program as well as the BA in New Media & Communications.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The position involves teaching a 4/4 course load, scholarship, student advisement, and service. Travel among our campuses is expected. Teaching responsibilities will include day and/or evening classes, online and/or hybrid courses, and video-conference classes.
- An M.F.A. or Ph. D. (as applicable) in Visual Communication, Graphic Art, Digital Media or related field with credentials to teach courses such as Graphic Design, Web Design, Digital Photography, and Digital Media Studio.
- Interest in and commitment to building a new academic program from the ground up.
- Student-centered approach to teaching with a strong commitment to engagement.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and time-management skills.
- Active involvement in scholarly and creative practice.
- Commitment to diversity.
- Knowledge of both traditional and digital studio practices.
- Evidence of innovative pedagogical practices.
- Experience with online and/or hybrid delivery of coursework.
TO APPLY: Application materials should be emailed as one PDF attachment to [email protected] with the subject line “10017800 Assistant Professor of Art, Macon 11.18.2020”. Application materials must include (1) an MGA faculty application, (2) a letter of interest, (3) a curriculum vitae, (4) a statement of teaching philosophy, (5) an artist statement, (6) names and contact information of three references, (7) digital portfolios of (a) personal artwork and (b) student artwork (clearly labeled), and (8) unofficial transcripts. Paper application materials will not be accepted.
Background checks will be conducted on all final candidates.Faculty Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsA Unit of the University System of GeorgiaEEO/AA/M/F/V/D