Hatchery Field Technician
Present Position Number:
00384VRole Code Title:
Laboratory & Research TechPosition Title:
Hatchery Field TechnicianPosition Summary:
The Aquaculture Genetics and Breeding Technology Center (ABC) at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science invites qualified applicants to submit their application.
The Aquaculture Genetics and Breeding Technology Center (ABC) is located in Gloucester Point, VA.
The Hatchery Field Technician position will support ABC field, hatchery and laboratory operations.
Responsibilities will include:
- With guidance from the field team leader, provides optimal husbandry of all biological material in the field, for diploids and polyploids.
- Assists with maintaining accurate inventories of biological materials in the field.
- Assists with field work outings. Provides field equipment maintenance when necessary.
- Provides direct assistance in spawning, larval rearing and nursery maintenance during ABC’s hatchery season, both at Gloucester Point campus and at Kauffman Aquaculture Center.
- Assists with laboratory work including sampling of ABC’s biological material.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Possess basic knowledge of animal husbandry/biological processes.
- Demonstrated ability to follow routine oral and written instructions, be capable of working independently and show initiative to follow the project criteria.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple and concurrent projects.
- Effective communication and strong interpersonal skills, with the proven ability to interact as a collaborative team member.
- Ability to lift up to 70 lbs.
- Ability to work in inclement weather conditions and perform comfortably in the field and on the water.
- Experience in biological sciences – marine, oysters, aquaculture
- Experience in general field operations
Bachelor’s degree in marine science, biology, aquaculture, or related field.
- Experience in aquaculture of shellfish.
- Experience working in inclement weather conditions with the proven ability to be comfortable in the field and on the water.
Up to $30,000; commensurate with experienceDepartment:
VIMS - GloucesterUniversity Salary Range:
U04Job Open Date:
11/17/2020Job Close Date:
12/01/2020Open Until Filled:
Full Time OperationalPosition Term:
12 Month - RestrictedConditions of Employment::
- This is a restricted position, position is based on the continuation of funding.
- This is a non-exempt position eligible to receive overtime in accordance with the fair labor standards act.
- This position requires the flexibility to work over-time, including weekend hours, and holidays as scheduled to meet the business operational needs.
- Reliable transportation to travel between work sites for work as needed. The hatchery at Gloucester Point and the hatchery in Topping, VA are 40 minutes apart and may be required to work at either facility.
- Valid driver’s license required (May be required to drive a state vehicle).
- This position requires the ability to work comfortably and successfully in inclement weather conditions both in the field and on the water.
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.Background Check Statement:
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.