Landscape Technician, Senior
Posting Code: 2912618
Work type: Classified
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Facilities Maintenance
Advertised: November 17, 2020
Applications close: November 23, 2020
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
Under direction, be responsible for specialized landscaping and grounds maintenance work at a state institution/university campus, and/or supervise and instruct a small crew in this work; operate and maintain related equipment; perform related work.Level Scope:
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision.Essential Functions:
60% of Time the Landscape Technician, Senior must:
● This class identifies the Senior worker who has day-to-day responsibility for landscaping and grounds maintenance.
● In addition to performing the Landscaping Technician duties, incumbents may train, assign work, and review the performance of subordinates.
● Although the typical assignment is that of a supervisor, non-supervisory positions may be allocated to this level where the performance of a limited number of technical tasks is of primary importance. Examples of non-supervisory assignments are:
● On a specific project or in a specific area, designs and implements beds and borders including recommendations for new planting, replanting and reorganizing existing plants of lawn areas, shrubbery, shade and ornamental trees, and flower beds; inspects plants, trees and shrubs for insect pests or disease and takes necessary measures for eradication; maintains records and files and submits reports as required; may develop snow removal plans.
Routine Landscape Maintenance: Performs routine maintenance, through manual labor and equipment operation, of campus landscape.
• Litter and debris removal
• Maintain safe and aesthetic hardscapes
• Planting, pruning, pest management, fertilization, debris removal and other cultural practices to maintain safe and aesthetic trees
• Planting, pruning, fertilization, pest management, debris removal and other cultural practices to maintain safe and aesthetic landscape beds
• Seeding, sod installation, aeration, topdressing, fertilization, pest management, mowing and other related cultural practices to maintain safe and aesthetic turf
• Irrigation repair and regular zone checks to insure proper irrigation of all plant material
• Snow and ice removal to provide safe public access to all areas of campus
Lead Work: Assists foremen in direction, coordination and implementation of landscape maintenance duties.
• Interprets work instructions and determines time and sequence of operations to ensure timely completion of assigned task
• Ensures a safe working environment for clients, the public and staff
• Ensures compliance to standards of quality in task completion
• Ensures timely communication and task completion for special requests
• May supervise temporary and/or student staff on tasks and small projects
• Maintains pesticide records for accountability
• Maintains fertilization records for accountability
• Reviews and understands MSDS records before applying chemicals
Instruction / Training: Provides instruction and training to temporary and/or student staff in landscaping techniques and standards.
• Trains and instructs temporary and/or student staff in the operation of specialized equipment
• Trains and instructs temporary and/or student staff in basic and advanced landscaping techniques
• Trains and instructs temporary and/or student staff in proper record keeping
● Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
● Ability to communicate ideas and apply general rules to specific problems
Six months of experience in the Idaho State service performing the duties of a Landscape Technician (formerly Grounds Maintenance Worker). Completion of a recognized course of study in landscape gardening or landscape design may be substituted for the required experience.
One year of experience in flower gardening and general grounds maintenance work. Completion of a recognized course of study in landscape gardening or landscape design may be substituted for the required experience.
Successful completion of a formal vocational training program in flower gardening and general grounds maintenance work such as Certified Technician in Landscape installation, irrigation, and maintenance/equipment overhaul or those operated under or similar to programs operated by State, Federal, or local agencies through school districts.
Education: Completion of a two-year curriculum in ornamental horticulture or landscape work at the junior college or college level;
any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by the Division of Human Resources.
This position pays $13.00 per hour. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
Current driver’s license
Professional applicators license – to be acquired within the 6 month probationary period
Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check required.