Academic Advisor, Office of the Dean
Academic Advisor, Office of the DeanPosition Number:
Norris-Vincent College of BusinessSalary:
• Provides academic advising, student retention, and success services to students in the Norris-Vincent College of Business (NVCOB). Primary advisor for all lower division and transfer students, provides oversight for faculty advising of upper division students
• Responsible for planning, organizing, and implementing all career-related programs and services offered by the Center for Student Success for the benefit of NVCOB students.
• Coordinates all NVCOB student recruitment, outreach, and social activities with NVCOB faculty and staff, and relevant departments across campus (Discover ASU, True Blue Fridays, Ram Jam, NVCOB Graduate Reception).
• Provides oversight and supervision of Center for Student Success student assistants and student tutors.
• Provides relevant student achievement data and serves on campus committees centered on student success.
1. In collaboration with the Dean and Department Chairs, designs and monitors all College-level student outreach and advising programs and provides advising services to identified categories of students in the NVCOB.
2. In collaboration with the Dean, develops risk assessment reports for identified classes of at-risk students in the NVCOB; develops, delivers appropriate intervention, and monitors the progress of at-risk students and refers students to appropriate support services.
3. Develops, implements, and supports new programs and initiatives that will expand and enhance current retention efforts across campus. Provides comprehensive departmental assessment of programs and services with the goal of ensuring continuous program improvement, student retention and success in the areas of student involvement, academic support, learning outcomes, life skills, and resource connection.
4. Provides faculty training in current best practices in student advising and retention programs and insures they have up to date information. Monitors the assignment of faculty advisors, as appropriate, and oversees assessment of advising functions.
5. Coordinates department-wide programming on special “strategic initiative” programming to include career workshops, networking, career exploration and job seeking, as well as social areas.
6. Participates in student orientation, recruitment and advising programs and delivers academic orientation to new students as needed.
7. Monitors changes in academic policy, the general education core curriculum, and any other relevant policies, processes, and procedures and communicates these changes to the Dean, Department Chairs, and faculty advisors.
8. Assists the Dean in verifying the regular updating of majors lists, academic advising assignments, guaranteed course offering lists, and other advising workflow enhancements.
9. Assists the NVCOB in informing advisors and students about relevant dates, submission of degree plans, exit tests, major field tests, and senior projects.
10. Manages all social media tools and technologies, creates and implements successful social media programs. Keeps up-to-date with constantly evolving technologies in online social networking.
11. Participate in division-wide and all-campus events as well as academic and other committee meetings as assigned.
12. Establishes strategic goals for the Center for Student Success office, including long-range planning and assessment. Establishes office policies and procedures.
13. Knowledge of University Policies and Procedures; school organization and structure.
14. Demonstrate leadership and collaboration with other campus constituencies in developing programs and services to enhance the total university experience for residential students.
15. Evaluates, implements, and oversees technology-based services to enhance operational efficiencies and to improve student satisfaction, retention as well as to enhance staff training content and delivery.
16. Works with student officers of NVCOB student organization to organize and monitor social and community service initiatives; ensures compliance with university regulations.
17. Performs other duties as assigned by the Dean’s Office.
Ability to learn varied degree program curricula, advise students accurately, and provide general academic support and direction to students.
• Ability to learn the principles, practices, and procedures involved in collegiate academic advising, student retention and progression, and intervention for at-risk students.
• Ability to effectively search and locate information in catalogs from higher education institutions.
• Experience with Microsoft Office products and ability to quickly learn new software packages.
• Knowledge of general office procedures and practices.
• Strong written and oral communication skills for effective communication of program information to both small and large groups of prospective and current students, parents, faculty, and other stakeholders in the academic advising and student success process.
• Establish and maintain cooperative, effective working relationships with students, university faculty and staff, and community partners
• Ability to effectively plan, coordinate, implement, and evaluate NVCOB recruiting and career preparation events
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously
Bachelor’s degree, and one year of office-related experience.Preferred Qualifications:
Background in college admissions or registration programs, academic advising, student retention, or related work desirable.
Master’s degree preferred.
Sitting 4-6+ hours
Standing 3-4 hours
Walking moving about 2-4 hours
Repetitive use 2-4 hours
Manual Dexterity 2-4 hours
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at [email protected].Posting Number:
11/10/2020Desired Start Date:
12/01/2020Open Until Filled: