Communication Director (Publicity/Marketing Manager)
Search #: 494845
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Marketing and Communication
The College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources (CAHNR) at the University of Connecticut is seeking a full-time Director of Communications. Reporting to the Dean, the incumbent in this position will provide vision, leadership, and direction to support CAHNR’s communication and marketing strategies and promote its brand and reputation. The Communications Director must be an energetic, creative and dedicated leader who is accessible and responsive to faculty, staff and students and fosters collaboration and an organizational culture that promotes diversity and inclusion.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include but are not limited to:
- Managing the operation of the CAHNR Office of Communications with a team of professional staff engaged in copywriting, graphic design, multimedia production, web development, social media, and Customer Relationship Management (CRM).
- Planning and implementing timely communication, marketing and recruitment strategies to promote CAHNR to its audiences and prospective students across communication channels.
- Preparing or supervising the preparation of communication, advertising and marketing materials; providing strategic oversight and art direction to ensure brand standards.
- Recommending staffing needs, hiring, supervising and evaluating staff, and determining work assignments.
- Developing and maintaining excellent working relationships with all College departments and internal and external constituencies, including engagement with current and prospective students, faculty, staff, alumni, parents and the people of communities served by the College.
- Providing reports and analysis of websites, social media, email marketing, and other marketing efforts.
- Researching and analyzing market data to make informed decisions and make long-range recommendations to supervisor regarding business operations and College-wide communications and marketing strategies.
- Responsible for ensuring timely and responsive work and completion of projects.
- Serving as a resource and advising academic departments, programs, and administrators regarding communications, graphic design and printing, marketing and promotional needs.
- Keeping informed of current communication trends, best practices and University-wide initiatives.
- Representing and promoting CAHNR at appropriate regional and national conferences.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or a related field.
- Minimum six years of experience in communications related to science or education.
- Excellence in written and verbal communication skills across printed, electronic and social media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram) as demonstrated by application materials submitted including applicant’s resume, cover letter and examples of communication work products.
- Supervisory and administrative experience working in a collaborative and diverse environment.
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion individually and through examples of communication work products.
- Demonstrated creativity and experience using innovative communication technologies.
- Demonstrated experience in web development using WordPress or similar software and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Must be willing and able to work occasional flexible and/or irregular hours.
- Willingness and ability to travel in-state and out-of-state in support of CAHNR activities.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field.
- Five or more years’ experience creating and managing operational and strategic communications and marketing initiatives targeted to motivate constituencies.
- Experience supporting communications and marketing efforts within a higher education academic institution.
- Knowledge of audience and community to be served, such as prospective students, alumni, donors, stakeholders and business partners.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a multidisciplinary faculty, a diverse student body, a variety of academic departments, and constituents in private and public sectors.
- Experience with CRM systems and best practices.
The incumbent will report to the Dean of CAHNR. This is a full-time position based at the Storrs campus and will require occasional travel to campuses in Hartford, Waterbury, Avery Point and Stamford. Occasional evenings, weekends, and out-of-state travel are also required in support of CAHNR’s programs, activities, or professional development opportunities.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #494845 to upload a resume (not to exceed three pages), cover letter detailing skills and experiences that address all qualifications you possess as described in the qualifications sections; diversity statement, three examples of communication products developed by the applicant (e.g., articles, websites, social media posts) submitted as .PDF files or links to electronic media; and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on December 17, 2020.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Nov 17 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Dec 17 2020 Eastern Standard Time