AccountantAnticipated Hiring Range:
$55,000 - 58,500Work Schedule:
M-F 40 hours per weekJob Location:
University PayrollAbout the Department:
The University Controller’s Office is a department under the Division of Finance. The office has business units covering the following areas; Cash Management, Banking, and Merchant services; General Accounting, Financial Reporting and Taxation; Accounts Payable; Business Systems; Payroll and Debt Management.
The University Controller’s Office works to advance NC State as a leader in fiscal accountability and responsibility through a collaborative partnership with our campus community, strong partnerships with our peer groups, improvements in the University’s financial systems and internal controls, and efficient and effective business operations. The office continues its attention towards collaborative efforts and in providing fiscal leadership, oversight, accounting, reporting, training, and outreach services that exemplify the highest standards of quality, performance, and service. Having professional staff and managers with imagination, knowledge, and people skills are paramount in successfully implementing these goals.
The University Controller’s Office is responsible for fiscal accountability, accuracy, and reporting of a $1.6 billion enterprise, including timely and accurate payment of monthly and biweekly wages to over 18,000 staff, faculty, student workers and temporary employees, over 90,000 vendor payments annually and management of a $600 million external debt portfolio.Essential Job Duties:
Reporting to the Tax Manager this position is responsible for:
• Compiling and submitting to Controller’s Office recapitulation report after each on-cycle payroll summarizing wages, deductions, employer-paid benefits, employee and employer-paid taxes to
1) validate and match to labor distribution and 2) quantify funds requisition by Controller’s Office from the State Treasurer’s Office to cover disbursement as employees’ net pay, taxes, garnishments, internal and external vendors, totaling in excess of $1,047,328,746/year ($670,799,014 gross, $208,030,512 deductions + benefits and $168,499,220.
• Totaling disbursement amounts for taxes, garnishments, and vendors from each payroll cycle confirmed every month for monthly payments to vendors and tax agencies, reconciled & remitted per each vendor’s designated schedule
• Filing Form 941, Employer’s QUARTERLY Federal Tax Return with IRS to report Social Security, Medicare, and federal income taxes withheld and deposited for the quarter and annually, Form W-3, Transmittal of Wage and Tax Statements. Communicating directly with IRS to resolve questions concerning the tax reports.
• Filing Form NC-5Q, Quarterly Income Tax Withholding Return and the NC-3, Annual Withholding Reconciliation for reporting income tax withheld and deposited during the quarters with an annual summary. Communicating directly with NC Department of Revenue to resolve questions concerning the tax reports.
• Process all tax deposits to IRS and NC Department of Revenue, accumulated from payrolls and from outside HR System for 1) foreign nationals 1042 taxes from Student Financials scholarship disbursements and 2) 1042 and NC withholding for out of state independent contractor payments made through Controller’s Office (Financials).
• Manage all aspects – identification, documentation, calculation, communication(s), collections, and reconciliation of an average of 186 salary overpayments totaling approximately $1.3 million/annum, pursuant to NC General Statutes regarding the collection of money owed to the state. Serves as the contact person for departments, colleges, and employees for notification of overpayments. When necessary to mitigate debt collection, set up a repayment schedule with the debtor, until paid-in-full. Debt notification to employees must follow the timetable prescribed by the State of NC Attorney General’s Office. Comply with General Statute – Chapter 105A, Setoff Debt Collection Act (SODCA) for debt collection that transitions from internal to a collection agency to the Attorney General’s Office. Process paid-in-full repayments through HR System for 1) update of employee’s gross, tax, deduction/benefits accumulators, 2) reimbursement to the department of expenditures, and 3) amended W-2 for the prior year, if necessary.
• Escheating all outstanding checks in the Payroll System in accordance with the NC State Treasurer’s Office. Notify employees of uncashed checks, collect notarized affidavit from the employee, issue replacement check, “close” checks in HR System and Wells Fargo, and providing Controller’s Office with list of checks and amounts to transfer to the Treasurer’s Office.
• Lead instructor for payroll-related courses offered through Quick Start and HR Academy as well as Lunch-n-Learn sessions.
• Oversee/validate that the 42+ Payroll trust clearing accounts have been reconciled each month and all non-zero balances documented.
• Testing all tax-related areas during PeopleSoft upgrades, bundles and tax updates to verify the results are correct.
This position is cross trained to serve as a back-up for other tax specialist position.
Additional duties as assigned.Minimum Experience/Education:
Bachelor’s degree with 12 credit hours of accounting coursework; or Associate’s degree in Accounting; or Associate’s degree in Business or related discipline with 12 credit hours of accounting coursework; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Strong accounting skills to manage multi-million dollar tax expenditures, payment, and reporting plus collection and reconciliation of > $1.3 million/year in salary overpayments.
Proficient in Microsoft products including Excel, Access Database, Word and PowerPoint
Professionally worked with a large ERP system (SAP, PeopleSoft, Oracle) or similar systems.
Capable of writing, modifying and running queries in the HR system for reporting
Ability to research and translate complex federal and multi-state tax code and ensure alignment, through testing, with HR System processes; 941 reconciliation and reporting experience
PeopleSoft HR system 8.9 version or higher
5+ years experience in payroll processingRequired License or Certification:
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
11/17/2020Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
Resume required, cover letter optional.Position Number:
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
AccountantPosition Classification Band Level:
JourneyPosition Classification Salary Range:
$37,012 - $105,020Salary Grade Equivalency:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Medical EmergenciesTime Limited Position:
NoIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
496101 - University PayrollAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.