Job location: Worcester
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2020-11-18
JOB TITLEPart-Time DispatcherLOCATIONWorcesterDEPARTMENT NAMECampus Safety SergeantDIVISION NAMEWorcester Polytechnic Institute - WPIJOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARYServes as the first point-of-contact for callers and walk-in customers requesting service from the WPI Police Department.JOB DESCRIPTION
- Ability to handle confidential information appropriately.
- Advises, directs and interprets emergency calls for service and initiates police, fire an emergency medical response, as needed, to incidents.
- Monitors intrusion, duress, fire and card access alarms and notifies and directs the appropriate personnel to respond. Also monitors police scanner from the Worcester Police Department and advises WPI police patrol personnel of emergency types of calls occurring in the general WPI peripheral property area.
- Operates a multi-line telephone system, emergency telephone system, and directs calls to appropriate personnel, providing information as requested.
- Documents all pertinent information relating to incidents on campus, personnel matters, etc. on the computerized incident reporting management system. (police log).
- Compiles and provides a statistical data report to the Chief (when requested).
- Receives and relays LEAPS terminal information to appropriate police personnel.
- Prepares and submits work orders to plant services department (when applicable).
- Initiates (and documents) employee call-backs for maintenance emergencies, after normal business hours.
- Initiates telephone notifications to various University officials in the event emergencies or other critical incidents, as directed by the on-duty supervisor.
- Updates all emergency response manuals; alarm codes and applicable policy manuals kept at the dispatch desk.
- Responsible for dispensing keys to authorized persons following prescribed sign-out and retrieval procedures.
- Receives and controls “administrative journal (police log) entries” for lost and found property.
- Performs several tasks related to the parking program to include the issuance of parking decals; the collection of fines; the filing of applications and citations and the data entry that is related to the violations that are issued.
- Associates Degree required.
- Must be dependable, honest and possess excellent written communications and interpersonal communication skills.
- Typing and computer skills are required.
- Familiar with Access Control/automated records management systems.
- Must also successfully pass an on-the-job training program.
- Applicants must have demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace and/or commitment to do so as an employee at WPI