Director, QB3 Genomics (6247U) - 12932
Director, QB3 Genomics (6247U) - 12932 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: December 1, 2020
The California Institute for Quantitative Biosciences (QB3) is a cooperative effort between the state of California, private industry, venture capital, and the University of California campuses at Berkeley, San Francisco, and Santa Cruz. In order to stimulate discovery at the intersection of the physical and biological sciences, QB3 promotes multidisciplinary research at world-class facilities, creates innovative educational programs, and fosters industry partnerships. The Institute's more than 180 researchers decipher the complex systems involved in living systems and discover ground-breaking applications for that basic knowledge in the areas of health, energy, and the environment.
Position typically supervises one or both of the disciplines: 1) laboratory research, 2) laboratory instruction/experiment design. Examples of duties include the following:
- Coordination, scientific, financial and strategic planning of facility with Scientific Director.
- Assist all researchers in the design of genomics projects.
- Act as a liaison with commercial genomics product manufacturers, standard laboratory vendors and service providers.
- Track development of NGS field, provide strategic vision for development of genomics facilities at UCB.
- Manage finances of the facility and assist accounting staff with recharge management.
- Write grant applications for additional equipment or for collaborations among QB3 faculty.
- Provide reports as needed.
- Coordinate with the QB3 Genomics Core Co-Director to maintain the highest level of service to core users.
- Generate quotes and invoices for Non-UC users.
- Oversee the operation and maintenance of 1 Illumina HiSeq4000, 1 Illumina NovaSeq, 2 Illumina MiSeqs and 1 PacBio Sequel instruments.
- Administrate and build the Core LIMs.
- Troubleshoot problematic user library prep and sequencing issues, not handled by the facility manager.
- Oversee the management of data return and analyze data beyond the scope of SRA staff.
- Manage servers and coordinate with facility system administration.
- Place all large reagent and equipment orders.
- Supervise facility managers.
- Knowledge of necessary lab safety procedures and requirements, as well as chemical disposal guidelines.
- Demonstrated experience with instrumentation for high-throughput biology, particularly Next-Gen Sequencing.
- Advanced knowledge of molecular biology and genomics.
- Demonstrated experience with NGS library preparation.
- Familiar with Unix/Linux platforms, including system/server administration, for the analysis of sequencing data generated by the facility.
- Demonstrated skills in interpersonal relationships bridging academic scientists from multiple disciplines.
- Managerial experience and/or project management experience.
- Able to work independently and demonstrate effective supervisory and management skills including the ability to coordinate funding streams, work schedules, and timelines, and to supervise and support staff.
- Experience developing research proposals.
- Graduate degree in biological sciences or equivalent experience in high throughput sequencing methods and technologies and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Demonstrated success in managing a business, core facility, or large-scale project.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=12932&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency