Director, Student Accounts
University of La Verne
Director, Student Accounts
Job Description Summary:
Directs, plans, and implements the activities of all student financial services, and accounts receivable systems for the University. Manages the disbursement of over $150 million in federal, state, private, and institutional aid and insures disbursements are compliant with various regulatory agencies including but not limited to the Department of Education.
The University of La Verne is a private not-for-profit university founded in 1891 located in La Verne, California. The core values that we live by are Ethical Reasoning, Diversity and Inclusivity, Lifelong Learning, and Community and Civic Engagement.
If you're passionate about these values, join us at the University of La Verne!
- Oversees the overall operation of student financial services, billings, receivables, cashiering, and on-line student access to accounts and transactions. Responsible for the assessment of all tuition and fees for student accounts. Manages all student payment options.
- Manages the disbursement of over $150 million in federal, state, private, and institutional aid and insures disbursements are compliant with various regulatory agencies including but not limited to the Department of Education.
- Safeguards and deposits all tuition, fees, and other monies collected throughout the University. Ensures policy and regulatory compliance of all cash receipts at the University.
- Analyzes and resolves billing and payment problems. Identifies errors or discrepancies and assist students and their parents with questions regarding their account. Serves as an escalation point for questions and concerns.
- Ensures timely issuance in student and financial aid refund checks.
- Monitors the accounting of the accounts receivable module and ensures adequacy of internal controls and procedures for accounts receivable and cash receipts. Recommends and implements system changes as needed to ensure adherence to GAAP as well as University Policies. Responsible for adherence and compliance to federal and state regulations as applied to financial institutions. Provides direction and leadership in financial management of accounts receivable and cash receipts. Provides direction and fiscal policy reviews and implements any changes.
- Design, implement, and monitor short and long range goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures for the department. Monitor and evaluate program effectiveness. Recruits, trains, supervises and evaluates departmental staff. Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other University offices regarding enrollment, assessment of fees and payment processes. Serves as liaison to other University departments and business administrators on policies and procedures. Represents department on committees and meetings.
Directs, educates, and encourages departmental staff on positive customer service with students, parents, faculty, staff and other University departments.
- Interacts with accounting staff and primary contact for external auditors; participates in auditing projects, and provides information and access to student account information as required and represent the Office of Student Accounts as a speaker and provide important information about payment options, financial counseling services, critical dates, refunds and book authorizations. Participate in student orientations, informational meetings and training sessions.
- Responsible for monitoring completed registration and financial obligations of students for each registration period and populations. On-going reporting of results to senior management. Developing solutions and making decisions for students with financial difficulties. Manages and oversees collections of delinquent accounts for student tuition and fees.
- Identifies and oversees the implementation of software enhancements to improve the efficiency and integrity of Student Accounts.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5 years of experience working in a Student Accounts or Financial Aid Office
- 5 years of experience working in higher education
- 4 years of experience in a supervisory or leadership position
- Knowledge of cashiering and cash management principles, systems procedures and standards
- Knowledge of accounting and accounts receivable principles, methodology, and practices
- Knowledge of Federal and State Federal regulations. This includes the Department of
- Education regulations regarding the disbursement and issuance of Financial Aid and refund checks.
- Knowledge of the Fair Debt Credit Reporting Act
- Knowledge of the regulations regarding unclaimed property
- Strong verbal, written communication and presentation skills. Excellent customer service skills
- Proficient in in Microsoft Office
- Ability to work in a fast paced office environment
- Ability to interact in a professional manner during stressful situations
- Ability to work effectively as a team player
- Ability to analyze, interpret data and make independent decisions
- Strong working knowledge of computer systems and software applications.
- Experience with Banner, Cashnet and Cognos is desired
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity and ability to communicate and interact effectively with people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Experience working in accounting for at least two year is preferred
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: http://laverne.edu
Located in Southern California, the University of La Verne offers a distinctive and relevant educational experience to a diverse population of students, preparing them for successful careers and a commitment to lifelong learning across the liberal arts and professional programs. The academic units of the not-for-profit university include the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Business and Public Management, the LaFetra College of Education, and the College of Law. The university offers both undergraduate and graduate programs, including degree programs tailored for working adults. The university's central campus is located 30 miles east of Los Angeles in the historic Old Town section of La Verne, a city with a population of approximately 35,000 at the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. The university also has eight regional campuses throughout California and the College of Law campus in Ontario, California. The university is classified as a Carnegie Doctoral Institution with moderate research activity. Core values are reflected throughout all curricular and co-curricular programs, its emphasis on close professor-student interaction, personal support of its students, and its diversity.
The University of La Verne prides itself in being reflective of the diversity of Southern California. Approximately 80 percent of its nearly 8,500 students come from diverse backgrounds and the U.S. Department of Education has designated the university as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). With 80,000 alumni, the university fulfills a critical community function in educating students from underserved populations, many of whom are the first generation in their family to attend college.
The University of La Verne is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employment or employees on any basis prohibited by state and federal law. University of La Verne hires and promotes individuals based on their qualifications and is consistent with applicable state and federal laws, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, disability, medical condition a or sexual orientation
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency