Permanent Staff (SHRA)Is this an internal only recruitment?:
Accounting Technician - JourneyWorking Title:
Accounting TechnicianPosition Number:
P012135Budgeted Hiring Range:
$38,303 - $42,559Pay Band Information:
To learn more about the pay band for this branch and role, please see the Career Banding rates spreadsheet.Salary Grade Equivalent:
Full-Time Time-LimitedIf time-limited, estimated duration of appointment:
1 yearHours per week:
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.Department Name and Number:
School of Journalism and Media-350100Date First Posted:
Chapel Hill, NCPosition Posting Category:
The mission of the UNC Hussman School of Journalism and Media is to prepare students to ignite the public conversation in our state, the nation and the world, and to understand the role of communication in fostering democracy. The School offers bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees, and administers a variety of professional development and distance-learning programs. Enrollment includes about 1,000 undergraduates and 125 graduate students in addition to professional development and distance education students. Our faculty members are international thought leaders whose scholarly and creative activities are visible and respected in the public realm.Equal Opportunity Employer:
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.Position Description:
THIS IS A TIME-LIMITED POSITION WITH AN ESTIMATED DURATION OF 1 YEAR
Located in the Hussman School’s business office, the Accounting Technician supports the school’s daily finance transactional needs. This position performs a range of accounts payable, accounts receivable, procurement, and reporting duties:
• Serve as the primary accounts receivable coordinator for the school, processing both physical deposits (cash and checks) in addition to electronic/merchant deposits.
• Serve as the School’s primary voucher processer, ensuring that professional reimbursement and vendor invoices are processed in a timely, efficient, and correct manner.
• Coordinate all independent contractor activity, from initial determination paperwork through contractor payment and expense reimbursement (if applicable).
• Process all travel requests (airfare bookings, advances, and reimbursements) for all faculty, staff, and students in the School, as well as for all visitors and affiliates.
• Serve as a purchasing coordinator, which includes the review and approval of all p-card transactions in BOA works and the entry, tracking, receiving, and reporting of assigned purchase orders.
• Produce monthly financial reports for an assigned portfolio of funding sources and disseminate them to the appropriate stakeholder (e.g. Dean, Assistant Dean, Director, Program Coordinator, etc.).
• Advise Hussman employees and affiliates on university and school financial policies and procedures.
• Other financial and administrative duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalency and one year of experience in accounting work; or equivalent combination of training and experience.Essential Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
The selected candidate will have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
• A thorough knowledge of accounting principles, practices, and standards.
• Experience reading, analyzing, and reconciling financial data, as well as experience viewing and creating reports in financial systems and Microsoft Excel.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to consistently deliver high levels of customer service.
• Ability to work both independently and as a member of a high-performing team.
• Excellent time-management, organization and prioritization skills.
• Accuracy and attention to detail.
Experience with UNC-CH financial policies and systems – including Infoporte and ConnectCarolina, purchasing cards, and travel systems – is preferred.Stimulus/ARRA Funded: