Research Specialist II - Plant Science - Extension
Research Specialist II
Turfgrass and Horticulture Manager
Pay Grade 36
UT Gardens,Knoxville is in need of a trained horticulturist who is familiar withscience-based turfgrass and horticultural management techniques. This positionis needed to provide continuity of turfgrass and landscape care throughout theseasons, year-to-year. Position reports to the Director of the UT Gardens.Duties include:
· Maintainall turfgrass, horticulture, and grounds in the UT Gardens.
· Developprotocols for maintaining distinct turf demonstration areas for research andoutreach activities.
· Maintainhorticultural research collections, hardscape areas, and field supervision.
· Trainstudent workers and interns.
· Collaboratewith other horticulture research specialists.
· Provideleadership for a program of activities that meets the needs of all eligibleclientele regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability,religion or veteran status
Minimum/Required Qualifications(include education, experience, skills & abilities, licenses &certifications):
· 3-4years of landscape or turfgrass management experience.
· Bachelor’sDegree in plant sciences, horticulture, landscape design, weed science,agronomy, or turfgrass is required.
· Abilityto establish and maintain protocol for turf management
· Abilityto responsibly record pesticide application data
· Abilityto supervise and coordinate employees
· Abilityto work under limited supervision
· Abilityto work as part of a team
· Abilityto operate lawn mowers (zero turn, push, riding)
· Abilityto operate skid steer
· Abilityto operate small engine horticulture equipment (string trimmers, leaf blower,chain saw)
· Effectivetime management skills
· Effectivecommunication skills - both written and verbal.Interestedcandidates should complete an online application and submit the following:
· Contactinformation for three referencesApplicantsshould apply online at: https://hr.utk.edu/staff-positions/ UT Extension provides a gateway to the University of Tennessee as theoutreach unit of the Institute of Agriculture. With an office in everyTennessee county, UT Extension delivers educational programs and research-basedinformation to citizens throughout the state. In cooperation with TennesseeState University, UT Extension works with farmers, families, youth andcommunitites, to improve lives by addressing problems and issues at the local,state and national levels
Job: Research Technical
Primary Location: US-Tennessee-Knoxville
Organization: Plant Science - Ext
Job Posting: Nov 17, 2020, 10:57:02 AM