Assistant Professor Mathematics
Job location: Commerce TAMUC
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-11-17
Job TitleAssistant Professor MathematicsAgencyTexas A&M University - CommerceDepartmentMathematicsProposed Minimum SalaryCommensurateJob LocationCommerce, TexasJob TypeFacultyJob Description
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT:
During the application process you have one opportunity to upload documents as a combined PDF. The page “My Experience” has an area provided under Resume/CV to drop or upload the file.
SUBMIT ONE PDF ONLY THAT INCLUDES:
- Cover Letter
- Three professional references with complete contact information (Unsolicited letters of recommendation will not be considered).
- Transcripts – Graduate Transcripts (Unofficial will be accepted with application. Official transcripts are required at time of verbal offer).
If transcripts are from an international institution, it is the responsibility of the prospective faculty member to have the transcripts translated and evaluated by an approved credential evaluator.
All documents must be electronically submitted through the Texas A&M Online Employment Services website to be considered. Incomplete or improperly submitted applications may be excluded from consideration.
The Department of Mathematics at Texas A&M University-Commerce is seeking faculty for a 9-month tenure-track position as an Assistant Professor at a salary of $60,000. This position will begin Fall 2021. The successful candidate will be expected to teach undergraduate and graduate level courses, conduct scholarly activities, work cooperatively with others, and contribute service to their discipline, the university, and the community.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach undergraduate and graduate level courses in Mathematics in both face-to-face and online formats;
- Initiating and sustaining research in Math that culminate in publication in scholarly journals, professional presentations and/or funded external grants;
- Advise students;
- Prepare syllabi;
- Update course materials;
- Develop curriculum;
- Maintaining effective, professional, and collegial relations with faculty, students and alumni;
- Maintaining office hours (tutorials) on campus;
- Work collaboratively with faculty and staff to implement departmental programs;
- Provide service to the department, college, university and public schools, and community; and
- Maintain knowledge and stay abreast of current trends in learning with research, best practices in teaching, and technological applications in the classroom, including online teaching;
- Serve on selected Departmental, College and University committees;
- Other duties as assigned
Texas A&M University-Commerce is committed to promotion of diversity and thus the candidate should facilitate a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and ability to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds. The candidate should have an understanding and knowledge of multicultural and diversity issues, and their potential applications to pedagogy, programming, and service activity.
- Education: An earned Ph.D. in Mathematics, or Doctoral degree in Mathematics Education with at least 30 graduate semester hours in mathematics by start of employment.
- All fields of mathematics will be considered.
- Evidence of potential for success in university-level teaching and ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken English.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate potential for scholarly activity and for generating external funding, and for serving the university and department.
- Experience / Knowledge / Skills: Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with a team of professionals. Good written and oral communication skills. Commitment to high quality teaching. Dedication to high standards and student success. Scholarly publication record or scholarly potential.
- Ability to: Multi-task and work well as part of a team.
- Licensing/Professional Certifications: N/A
- Physical Requirements: N/A
- Other Requirements: N/A
PREFERRED EDUCATION / SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE:
Preference will be given to a candidate with any or some of the following expectations:
- Demonstrated success in securing external funding
- Evidence of teaching excellence
- Experience with teaching on-line and distance learning
- Experience working with culturally diverse populations
- Prior relevant industry experience
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.