Communications Specialist - Campus Only - 511927
Communications Specialist - Campus Only - 511927
Apply nowJob no: 511927
Work type: Regular Full-time (Benefits eligible)
Categories: Administrative / Professional
Pay Grade/Pay Range: 56 Monthly (exempt): - Minimum - $ 29764.80 Midpoint - $ 43326.36
Department/Organization: 208111 - CCHS External Relations
Normal Work Schedule: Mon-Fri 8:00am - 5:00pm, limited nights/weekends
Note to Applicants: This is a campus only search. You must be a current UA employee working at The University of Alabama to be considered.
Job Summary: The Communications Specialist works with a department or area to develop and implement communication plans and activities to support the goals of a specific department, a college and/or The University.
Additional Department Summary: The Communications Specialist works with the College of Community Health Sciences to develop and implement communications activities to support the goals, mission, and communications strategies of the College. The Communications Specialist performs a broad scope of communications activities requiring knowledge, experience, and application of writing, design, public relations, and media relations practices. The Communications Specialist works under the direction of the Director of Communications and the Assistant Director of Communications.
The Communications Specialist is responsible for developing and maintaining written content and providing graphic design support for the print, online, and social media and external presence of the College.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Create a wide range of print and digital communications materials, and supervise their production, to effectively and strategically communicate information about the College to external audiences. These include, but are not limited to: print newsletters, electronic newsletters, brochures, flyers, promotional materials, and marketing and advertising copy for newspapers, magazines, radio, and online.
- Develop and coordinate communication and marketing materials for a diverse array of platforms, including print, electronic, website, video, and social media.
- Assist in the development and production of the College’s magazine and annual report in both print and electronic formats.
- Develop strong relationships with the media. Work with UA Strategic Communications to prepare news releases and expertise alerts relevant to current events, and to ensure media coverage at various College events to promote the visibility of the College.
- Collaborate and work closely with departments across the College on written content and provide graphic design support for the College’s print publications, websites, social media, and marketing and advertising to support their individual communications-related needs and initiatives.
- Work with the UA Division of Strategic Communications as needed to support University initiatives.
Required Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, English, Marketing, or Advertising and one (1) year experience in journalism, public relations, marketing, or communications; OR Master's degree Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, English, Marketing, or Advertising. Related student or Graduate Assistant, Intern, or student oriented experience will be considered. To be considered student experience, it must be detailed in the employment section on the application.
Additional Required Department Minimum Qualifications: Strong written and oral communications skills, grammar and copy-editing skills, and the ability to clearly convey messages through writing and graphic design. Knowledgeable of AP style. Experience with graphic design and working experience with Mac computers and related software, including Adobe Creative Suite.
Skills and Knowledge: Strong organizational skills and the ability to work on multiple, ongoing tasks and projects and meet stated deadlines. Ability to self-start with little supervision and work independently, and ability to work cooperatively in a team setting. Extreme attention to detail and accuracy. Self-motivated, energetic, and excellent public relations skills.
Preferred Qualifications: Photography skills. Experience with web design and creating multi-media content. Ability to deliver original, creative, and innovative communications materials.
Background Investigation Statement: Prior to hiring, the final candidate(s) must successfully pass a pre-employment background investigation and information obtained from social media and other internet sources. A prior conviction reported as a result of the background investigation DOES NOT automatically disqualify a candidate from consideration for this position. A candidate with a prior conviction or negative behavioral red flags will receive an individualized review of the prior conviction or negative behavioral red flags before a hiring decision is made.
Equal Employment Opportunity: The University of Alabama is an Equal Employment/Equal Educational Opportunity Institution. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment or volunteer status without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age, genetic or family medical history information, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis, and will not be discriminated against because of their protected status. Applicants and employees of this institution are protected under Federal law from discrimination on several bases. Follow the link below to find out more. "EEO is the Law" Poster
Advertised: 16 Nov 2020 Central Standard Time
Applications close: 23 Nov 2020 Central Standard Time