Research Assistant-Medicine (Req2354)
Research Assistant-Medicine (Req2354)
Thisposition is needed to manage the lab and assist in all ongoing laboratoryprojects, which requires molecular biology techniques,animal models and cell culture techniques.
Activitiesinclude the following: perform experiments, analyzedata, prepare manuscripts for publication, train and manage laboratorypersonnel and students, and manage all aspects of the research laboratory,order lab supplies, general lab maintenance duties.
- Bachelors Degree in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, or relates area required.
- Masters Degree in above discipline(s) preferred.
- Background knowledge in molecular pathogenesis of glomerular disease, chronic kidney disease.
- Minimum one year’s experience in research laboratory environment preferred.
- Molecular biology facility management. Must have some experience in molecular biology techniques, including the maintenance of PCR thermal-cyclers, centrifuges, spectrophotometers, laminar flow hoods for PCR work, pipetters, freezers, storage conditions for samples and reagents, and proper standard operating procedures for molecular biology laboratory.
- Experience in the maintenance and husbandry of transgenic mice and/or rats and in non-survival mouse and rat surgery for the isolation and culture of primary cell cultures.
- Ability to assist with writing drafts of research manuscripts required.
Communication and other skills:
- Advanced computer skills with knowledge of data analysis and graphic programs.
- Ability wot work independently.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both written and verbally with co-workers.
- Must write in clear scientifically acceptable language. Maintains a professional image and standard of behavior.
- Maintains a professional image and standard of behavior.
- Demonstrates personal integrity for maintaining an attendance record without patterned absences and reports to work area on time.
- Dresses in accordance with established guidelines and is neat in appearance.
- Follows appropriate procedure and time frame for notification of absence.
- Follows appropriate procedure for planning and arranging schedule changes and vacations.
- Utilizes effective communication to provide excellent customer services.
- Actively participates in performance improvement activities as it relates to job duties.
- Demonstrates effective and culturally appropriate communications.
- Maintains skills through planned and continuous learning experiences.
- Successfully completes general and unit orientation.
- Annually attends all mandatory in-service and documents such on individual education records.
- Seeks out and actively participates in educational offerings to maintain current skills.
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the people so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.The University of Toledo is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. The University of Toledo does not discriminate in employment, educational programs, or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, disability, familial status, or political affiliation. The University of Toledo provides reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you require accommodation to complete this application, or for testing or interviewing, please contact the Human Resources Department at 419-530-4747 between the hours of 8:30AM and 5:00PM or apply online for an accommodation request.Computer access is available at most public libraries and at the Office of Human Resources located in the Center for Administrative Support on the Main Campus of the University of Toledo, or at the satellite HR Office located at the Facilities Services Building, Suite 1000 on the Health Science Campus.