Assistant Scientist - Georgetown University Medical Center
Assistant Scientist - Georgetown University Medical Center
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
We are seeking an Assistant Scientist in the Slingerland laboratory, for research in cell cycle regulation and PI3K signaling, to investigate novel pro-oncogenic roles of p27 in transcriptional regulation and epigenetics. Other projects pursue how estrogen receptor and NFKB pathways interact to link estrogens, obesity, inflammation, and breast cancer stem cells. Projects require discretion and judgment in research activities within project scope and methodologies. This position requires in-depth knowledge of molecular biology, protocol/ method development, organizing and implementing complex research plans, analysis of data, and writing manuscripts for publication of findings.
The Assistant Scientist will assist the Principle Investigator to conduct research and may assist the lab manager in organizing purchase of reagents and supplies. He/she will assist with training junior lab members in routine protocols and assisting in all organizational aspects of the laboratory per Georgetown University policies and procedures.
- Perform complex laboratory assignments, including the planning and conducting of projects related to cell culture and molecular biology. Schedule and perform experiments in research laboratory.
- Solve problems in scientific and technical execution, interpret experimental data and maintain accurate records. May need to develop, adapt and implement new lab procedures.
- Provide technical advice and instruction to lab members as needed.
- Design and perform complex and routine molecular biology procedures not limited to but including flow cytometry analysis, PCR, RT-PCR, QT-PCR, Southern, RNA Seq, Western blotting, DNA/RNA extraction, recombinant protein isolation and purification, bacculoviral vector protein production and gene cloning, transfection, in vitro translation and affinity chromatography, microscopy and immunohistochemical staining of tissue sections; ChIP Sequencing and epigenetic analyses.
- Assist in the preparation of data and figures for manuscripts and for scientific presentations using Power Point, Adobe Illustrator and other graphics software as needed.
- Search literature for references to technical problems and keep informed by reading relevant journal and publications.
- Present data in laboratory meeting and at international meetings and other venues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Individual hired will need to be able to function independently to manage daily affairs of the research laboratory design and perform routine and complex laboratory research experiments. Will receive instruction and mentorship from the Principal Investigator, Dr Slingerland.
- Ph.D. in a relevant field of cellular and molecular research and at least 3 years of post -PhD research experience.
Candidates must possess:
- 1) broad knowledge of cancer research and experience in human cell/tissue culture, molecular biological techniques, experience with animal models; prior experience in epigenetics/bioinformatics is desirable but not required.
- 2) ability to plan, organize and meet deadlines is required.
- 3) must be highly motivated and detail oriented.
- 4) excellent communication skills (verbal and written), and ability to collaborate with others.
- 5) ability to successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously and independently.
- 6) demonstrate problem solving skills.
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected].
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
To apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/Medical-Center/Assistant-Scientist---Georgetown-University-Medical-Center_JR09509
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency