Cafe Associate Barista (8:15 at Boatwright) - 501438
Cafe Associate Barista (8:15 at Boatwright) - 501438
The Café Associate is an entry level position on the café team. The Café Associate exhibits flexibility and assists in front-and back-of-house responsibilities: prepares and cooks high quality food; staffs any function in the front-of-house, as needed; maintains food quality, sanitation, and safety standards; and provides exemplary customer service.
In the assigned unit, this position may perform some or all of the following:
- Participates in the front of the house duties including, but not limited to: point-of-sale (cash register) functions; beverage and food production; order taking; and general customer service.
- Prepares and cooks food by following established recipes, special dietary or nutritional restrictions, or numbers of portions.
- Cleans, cuts, and cooks all food products as assigned, including meat, fish, poultry, starches, and vegetables.
- Prepares appropriate garnishes; garnishes foods.
- Cleans, sets up, and breaks down kitchen equipment, appliances, and work areas to ensure cleanliness and functional operation.
- Operates kitchen, line equipment, and machinery according to established safety procedures.
- Incorporates unused food safely into future food production.
- Covers, labels, and dates all food products after opening from original packaging and follows all food safety rules for proper storage.
- Sets up serving lines and ensures an adequate supply of food items, per the menu of the day, for the entire service period.
- Monitors and records temperatures of foods stored in refrigeration, in hot boxes, and on the serving line to ensure safe temperatures.
- Takes food samples for quality assurance.
- Assists in forecasting and monitors accuracy of recipes; communicates discrepancies to manager.
- Maintains clean and organized stock rooms and back-of-house.
- Maintains the cleanliness and organization of all equipment, serving lines, and seating areas according to established procedures.
- Trains employees.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT: This position requires long periods of standing and walking, and the ability to lift 50 lbs., in conditions that are often, hot, humid, or cold. Must be able to safely use and operate typical kitchen tools and equipment. Must be able to work outdoors in varying weather conditions, on occasion.
Youth age 16 and 17 are not permitted to operate, feed, set-up, adjust, repair or clean hazardous equipment, e.g., chopping or slicing machines, commercial mixers, power driven bakery machines, trash compactor, etc.
- Basic knowledge of culinary techniques and practices.
- Knowledge of quantity food production principles and safe food handling practices.
- Basic knowledge of computers and the ability to learn software.
- Ability to efficiently and accurately operate point-of-sale register systems.
- Ability to use effective time management to accomplish tasks.
- Skilled in reading and written and verbal communication.
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions and procedures.
- Ability to exercise flexibility and to work calmly and efficiently under pressure in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to provide a high level of customer service.
- Ability to monitor and maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to work cooperatively as a part of a team.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or GED required or in the process of pursing a high school diploma or GED which must be obtained within 2 years of date of hire.
- Minimum of 1 year cooking/ cold food prep and cashiering experience preferred.
- Safe food handler certification preferred, or certification obtained within one year of hire. (This is dependent on the assigned unit.)
- Part-time, non-exempt 9-month position; works less than 1,000 hours per year
- General work schedule will be: Sunday 6:30pm-Close (Close at 1am, Clean up by 1:30am) Monday 6pm-Close Thursday 6pm-Close;evening and weekend work required. We can be flexible on shifts- but employees should expect to work evenings and/or weekends.
- Training Experience, Excellent attendance and reliability are essential to the success of this position.
- Free shift meal and drinks provided.
- This position is designated as essential personnel and, during inclement weather and emergency situations, is required to be available to the University as needed.
Pay Grade 1 (Hiring Range $12.00 to $12.75 per hour)
At the University of Richmond, we’re creative, inclusive, and determined. We’re Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond (www.richmond.edu) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. There’s only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE