Buena Vista University has a job opening for an Instructional Designer. This position is available for remote work or located on the Storm Lake campus. This position will support the Director of Academic Innovation in the areas of course development and maintenance. The primary responsibility involves working collaboratively with faculty to assess, develop, and maintain high quality online and hybrid (part asynchronous part synchronous) courses.
- Design a variety of instructional materials for online courses and live web conferencing (hybrid) courses.
- Develop materials for courses based on information provided by subject matter experts and instructors to create the best coursework possible.
- Create realistic objectives for learning or performance for students and instructors.
- Work with the Director of Assessment to ensure appropriate learning outcomes and assessment tasks are incorporated into new and redeveloped courses.
- Redesign courses for online presentation that are conducive to distance learning programs while still adhering to academic goals of the institution.
- Recommend changes to existing courses, including technology or instructional methods, to better adhere to delivery options for the course.
- Analyze courses to ensure they meet or exceed institutional standards and provide reports for accreditation reviews.
- Adapt coursework to assist learners with disabilities so that they are able to experience the same learning opportunities as others.
- Remain aware of all emerging instructional technologies and make recommendations about when to adopt certain systems to continue to offer the best learning experience possible.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Must be able to work collaboratively with others and understand the issues impacting higher education, distance learning, and possess a vision for the future. Experience with adult learning program is desired.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred
- Knowledge and understanding of distance learning is required.
- Experience working with Canvas or a similar learning management system is preferred
- 2-3 years experience in online curriculum development is preferred.
- Quality Matters certification or willingness to pursue a Quality Matters Teaching Online Certificate is desired.
Buena Vista University
Buena Vista University is located on the shores of beautiful Storm Lake, a 3,200-acre natural lake located in Northwest Iowa. Since 1891, we have prepared students for lifelong success and blended liberal arts with real-world applications. BVU expands access to a quality education by empowering the people who propel Iowa forward in order to power rural vitality and personal prosperity. We foster an environment based on success both for our students and our employees, and we strive to build and support a diverse community. BVU firmly stands behind our motto, Education for Service, and was recently awarded the 2020 Carnegie Community Engagement Classification.
In Storm Lake you will find impressive amenities perfect for families, students, young professionals, and retirees alike. Residents and visitors enjoy an energetic downtown that is home to a variety of locally-owned retail stores that complement several national chains. There is an array of shopping, dining, and professional services, as well as a vibrant arts and multicultural environment. We are a diverse community in both population and opportunity. Most important, Storm Lake residents enjoy a relatively low cost of living and a high quality of life. Learn more at BVU.edu/StormLake.
Review of applications will begin January 8th and will continue until the position is filled. Anticipated start date is March 1st. A background check will be conducted on the final candidate.