Buena Vista University in Storm Lake, Iowa has an opening for a newly created Technical Writer position. This position is remote work eligible or located on the Storm Lake campus. This position will support the Director of Academic Innovation in areas of course content development and workflow for graduate online, and undergraduate online, hybrid and live courses. Develop content for Intranets, conduct content audits and provide content writing support for subject matter experts and other clients as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the planning and development of course content for graduate online, and undergraduate online, hybrid and live courses.
- Manage content writing projects using backwards design, design thinking and agile processes.
- Edit, standardize, or make changes to material prepared by other writers or establishment personnel.
- Organize material and complete writing assignments according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Maintain records and files of work and revisions.
- Develop or maintain online help documentation.
- Analyze developments in specific field to determine need for revisions in previously published materials and development of new material.
- Review published materials and recommend revisions or changes in scope, format, and content.
- Develop and maintain a content writing guide for SMEs and Intranets.
- Create and maintain content material on various Intranets
- Develop asynchronous writing support materials for undergraduate and graduate online students
- Provide synchronous and asynchronous writing and content development workshops for the Fall Faculty Workshop and Summer Adjunct Institute
- Network with other technical writers in their field
Software and Technology Skills
- Academic Services Stack – Function as a high-performance user in learning management systems, conferencing platforms, collaborative platform solutions (i.e., Canvas, Zoom, Microsoft and 3rd party integration)
- Publishing Stack – Integrate content management workflows with production workflows that utilize professional tools for audio and video editing, and VR/AR/MR (i.e., Camtasia, Adobe)
- Content Workflow/Management Software – TBD - Microsoft, Adobe, Atlassian, JIRA
- Project Management Software - Microsoft Project
- Customer Relationship Management: TBD
- Operating System: Windows 10 and Macintosh Os
- Storyboarding and Scripting Software: TBD
- Intranet Development: Microsoft SharePoint Communication
Education and Experience
A bachelors degree is required. Master's in English, knowledge and understanding of online course development, experience working on content management systems is preferred. Willingness to complete professional course development training is desired.
Buena Vista University
Buena Vista University is located on the shores of beautiful Storm Lake, a 3,200-acre natural lake located in Northwest Iowa. Since 1891, we have prepared students for lifelong success and blended liberal arts with real-world applications. BVU expands access to a quality education by empowering the people who propel Iowa forward in order to power rural vitality and personal prosperity. We foster an environment based on success both for our students and our employees, and we strive to build and support a diverse community. BVU firmly stands behind our motto, Education for Service, and was recently awarded the 2020 Carnegie Community Engagement Classification.
In Storm Lake you will find impressive amenities perfect for families, students, young professionals, and retirees alike. Residents and visitors enjoy an energetic downtown that is home to a variety of locally-owned retail stores that complement several national chains. There is an array of shopping, dining, and professional services, as well as a vibrant arts and multicultural environment. We are a diverse community in both population and opportunity. Most important, Storm Lake residents enjoy a relatively low cost of living and a high quality of life. Learn more at BVU.edu/StormLake.
Review of applications will begin January 8th and will continue until the position is filled. Anticipated start date is March 1st. A background check will be conducted on the final candidate.