Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
Seattle Pacific University
About Seattle Pacific University:
Founded in 1891, Seattle Pacific University has a long and distinguished history in Christian higher education. Located just minutes from downtown Seattle, SPU seeks to be a premier Christian University fully committed to engaging the culture and changing the world by graduating people of competence and character, becoming people of wisdom, and modeling grace-filled community. Seattle Pacific University seeks applicants committed to its Christian mission.
As part of our mission of cultural engagement, SPU is committed to building an excellent and diverse staff and faculty. Diversity is an ethos that is inseparable from our Christian faith. At SPU, we recognize diversity as a basic feature of God's creation and a core theme of the gospel. At the heart of our mission-centered commitment to becoming a more diverse community is a desire to represent the breadth of God's kingdom more fully.
We strive to become a workplace of choice and to recruit, develop, and retain faculty and staff who can embrace, value, and engage differences with humility and care. We invite you to join us on our journey by starting a career at SPU! Learn more about SPU's commitment to diversity and opportunities for our employees to deepen their capacity to serve our increasingly diverse student body.
SPU is seeking a Dean who:
- Embodies the role of leader, mentor, and visionary for the entire College of Arts and Sciences, with a demonstrated commitment to open, transparent, shared governance and to building upon the unit's diverse and inclusive environment for faculty, staff, and students. The Dean is a collaborative leader who can direct the development, enhancement, and operationalization of its programs to educate students across liberal arts disciplines and related programs in writing, honors, and general studies. The Dean works closely with the University's faculty and administration to define and articulate the vision for the College of Arts and Sciences and implement strategies that assure excellence and promote innovation.
- Champions the College of the Arts and Sciences faculty, nurturing the development of a diverse faculty, many of whom are engaged in multi-dimensional teaching, rigorous scholarship, and humble service in equal regard. The Dean will play a key role in recruiting, mentoring, and retaining faculty. As a faculty advocate, the Dean will work with University leadership to provide faculty with opportunities and resources that foster their career development and support their work both inside and outside of the classroom.
- Promotes, protects, and extends a vision for Christian higher education in the arts and sciences in the 21st century. The Dean will help assure that programs are relevant and future-focused. The Dean will articulate and advance a shared vision for the College that promotes interprofessional and interdisciplinary collaborations, a culture of innovation, and service to the community, all of which are rooted in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion. The Dean will understand the organizational aspects of a College of Arts and Sciences and be able to effectively structure programs and processes.
- Is an innovative leader for the College of Arts and Sciences, acting as a strategic visionary thinker, leading the College to prepare students for a changing world and working from a deep understanding of the value of a Christian liberal arts foundation to future career goals and personal aspirations. The Dean will expand and develop partnerships and innovative pathways for academic programs that connect students to community organizations and opportunities. Above all, the Dean will inspire the development of distinctive programs that maximize the reputation and resources of our existing programs. The Dean serves on the University's Academic Leadership Team and represents the College across a variety of settings, helping others to understand the distinctive value of the liberal arts and the College's commitments to exemplary accomplishment across teaching, scholarship, and performance activities.
Reporting directly to the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and serving on the Academic Leadership Team, the Dean will join other academic leaders in establishing policy and direction for academic initiatives of the University as a whole and advising the Vice Provost on decisions having campus-wide implications. The Dean will:
- Create a shared purpose and vision (including the creation of the College's first strategic plan) that reflects and advances the mission and strategic direction of the College;
- Develop structures, processes, and committees to advance the operations of the College;
- Assist in the resourcing of the College's 17 departments and the empowering of department chairs and faculty as they ensure high-quality undergraduate and graduate programs and retention;
- Develop and maintain strong external relations with the community;
- Lead a program evaluation process and oversee the revision of the general education curriculum;
- Recruit, develop, and evaluate faculty and staff;
- Manage the College's budget, provide oversight to the College's curriculum development and assessment process, and support the maintenance of secondary accreditations held by the College programs.
The ideal candidate will have an earned terminal degree in a discipline relevant to the arts and sciences and will be:
- An experienced, dynamic, entrepreneurial, and creative leader who understands the diverse challenges and opportunities facing arts and sciences programming and who is committed to programs that support student success.
- An individual with mature Christian faith aligned with SPU's faith commitments, with high integrity and a sense of calling to Christian higher education.
- An academic administrative leader with significant experience in teaching, scholarship, and service.
- An experienced strategic planner with the capacity to engage faculty and staff in visioning, planning, and the pursuit of creative ideas.
- An internal and external relationship builder who can work collaboratively in a larger university context.
- An external relations manager with experience in overseeing grants, scholarship development, and other aspects of advancement and fundraising.
- An experienced program developer with knowledge of curriculum development, assessment, and experiential education.
- An internal advocate on behalf of the College, possessing negotiation and conflict management skills.
- A supporter of faculty teaching, scholarship, and service within Christian higher education, as well as a promoter of professional development.
- A budgeter and fiscal manager who understands cost and delivery challenges facing higher education and can creatively address such challenges.
- A collaborator who supports the College's collegial culture and can build and maintain strong relationships with students, alumni, faculty, staff, University administration, and other academic and operational units.
- An engager in multicultural, multiethnic, and global settings, who holds strong commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Position will remain open until filled.
Compensation: Salary and benefits are commensurate with qualifications and experience. Benefits include dependent tuition discount, health, dental, disability, and life insurance as well as retirement programs. A moving allowance will be provided.
Confidential review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled; parties who apply by January 3, 2021, will be given first consideration. Please submit your resume and cover letter outlining your interest in and suitability for this position. To apply online, go to https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=su212
To make recommendations or for more information:
Summit Search Solutions, Inc.
It is the policy of Seattle Pacific University not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability in its programs or activities, as required by applicable laws and regulations. As a religious educational institution affiliated with the Free Methodist Church of North America, Seattle Pacific University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees or prospective employees on the basis of religion.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency