PG190684EPInternal Recruitment :
Research AssistantAnticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with ExperienceWork Schedule:
Monday - Friday / 8:00 am - 5:00 pm (some evenings and weekends may be required)Job Location:
Raleigh, NCAbout the Department:
The Micropropagation and Repository Unit in the Department of Plant Pathology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, is the National Clean Plant Network center that produces, maintains and distributes to stakeholders high quality, asexually propagated plant material of sweetpotato and berry crops that are free of targeted pathogens and pests that cause economic loss to protect the environment and ensure global competitiveness of U.S. specialty crops producers.Essential Job Duties:
The Research Assistant will independently support, develop, design, and/or execute moderately complex research activities for a single or multiple research projects.
Duties of the Research Assistant will include but not be limited to:
- Conducting vitro and greenhouse/screen house propagation of berry crops, ornamental sweet potatoes, muscadine grapes and other crops as needed.
- Developing and maintaining detailed records of the status of genotypes maintained in the repository and the greenhouse.
- Collecting and maintaining data for research conducted to develop/improve protocols for in vitro and plant propagation.
- Working with other members of the team on planting, harvesting, evaluation, data collection, analysis, and preparation of written reports for sweet potato field trials.
- Propagating and maintaining sweet potato and berry crop plants for distribution to North Carolina Sweet potato Certified Seed Growers and nurseries.
- Manage daily operations in the lab.
- Maintain equipment and purchase supplies.
- Prepare media and reagents according to state and federal regulations.
- Maintain up-to-date lab safety plan.
- Supervise hourly workers.
This incumbent will need to travel off-site alone to observe research and must independently be able to travel from location to location without reliance on others or the advanced notice that is often required of alternative means of transportation.Minimum Experience and Education:
- Master’s degree in Horticultural Science, Plant Science, Plant Biology, Plant Pathology or a related field, or a Bachelor’s degree in related field, with 3+ years of relevant experience.
- A basic understanding and experience using lab equipment for plant propagation in tissue culture and greenhouse propagation and maintenance of sweet potato, strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry and other crops as needed.
- Ability to work independently.
- Collaborate with staff, faculty and students.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office, especially WORD, EXCEL and Power Point (or similar software).
- Relevant research experience in vitro propagation of plants is strongly encouraged.
- A valid drivers license is required for travel. NC drivers license required within 60 days of hire and must be maintained.
YesCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
11/04/2020Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until Filled.Position Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Medical EmergenciesIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
111801 - Entomology and Plant PathologyAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.