Laboratory Technician I
Job no: 515111
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Department:29050900 - MD-PULMONARY MEDICINE
Advertised: 16 Nov 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 24 Nov 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Laboratory Technician IJob Description:
The Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine is seeking highly motivated applicants for a Laboratory Technician I position within the laboratory of Dr. Carl Atkinson. This position will work closely with other members of the research team including scientist, clinicians, research coordinators and students investigating alterations in the immune system associated with chronic respiratory diseases and organ transplantation. Duties/Responsibilities included but not limited to:
- Conduct research studies to support the scientific interests of the principal investigator. Conduct scientific experiments designed and outlined by the principal investigator to support the research interest of the laboratory, including animal models of sinusitis and organ transplantation, flow cytometry and cell culture as well as develop new laboratory procedures. Analyze data and help prepare scientific manuscripts and presentations. Maintenance of a complete laboratory notebook.
- Retrieve and process human tissue samples from the operating rooms and clinical of our clinical collaborators. This includes cataloging samples, establishing cell new primary cell lines and processing samples as appropriate for future experiments.
- Maintain genetically modified mouse breeding colonies, including weaning, collecting biopsies, genotyping, and record keeping. Assist with protocol revision and comply with animal care and use guidelines.
- Maintain organized and functional laboratory. Order laboratory supplies, keep records of ordering. Keep records of laboratory protocols. Maintenance of lab equipment, stock supplies. Comply with all University of Florida safety guidelines.
- Train lab personnel. Train less experienced personnel in following University policies and safety regulations. Instruct students and technical staff in laboratory procedures.
- Collaborative science. Attend weekly lab meetings. Liaison with visiting professors/researchers and develop excellent communications with collaborators.Expected Salary:
$14 - $16.18Minimum Requirements:
Associate's degree in an appropriate area; or a high school diploma or equivalent and two years of related experience. Appropriate college course work or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.Preferred Qualifications:
Preferred applicant will have a degree in biology or a related field and 2+ years of experience in a laboratory environment. Immunology coursework and/or experience is a plus.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Upload CV for consideration for this position.This is a time-limited position.If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD-214, along with any other appropriate documentation to support your claim, with your application for consideration.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required: