Finance & Administration Manager
Finance & Administration Manager
Job no: 506760
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: UMDI - Central Admin
Union: Non-Unit Exempt
Categories: Business & Financial Services
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Central Administrative Services Unit (CASU) provides a wide variety of support services to the nine business units of the University of Massachusetts Donahue Institute (UMDI), including accounting, human resources, information technology, marketing, business development, and more.
Under the direction of the CASU Senior Financial Manager, the Finance and Administration Manager provides financial, administrative, programmatic, and personnel assistance to UMDI business units in relation to project, office, and client support. This position will provide a broad range of support including daily office management duties; the preparation, tracking, presentation, and reconciliation of project and financial documents from the point of project inception through completion, as well as direct support to project staff. Personnel support may include the processing of required documentation for staff appointments, staff and consultant travel authorization and reimbursement, and the proper allocation of project-related expenses to sponsored projects. In addition, the Finance and Administration Manager may be responsible for the completion of contract documents and communicating directly with clients in relation to the work of business units. All tasks are to be provided in an effective, efficient, and professional manner.
Business unit functions
- Collaborate with business unit directors and program staff on budget development.
- Manage process for salary expense distribution to include the preparation and submission of expense allocations, reallocations and cost transfer justifications.
- Track expenditures against budget, including labor allocations; track business unit operational and project expenditures and revenues.
- In collaboration with directors and other project managers, provide financial reporting and analysis for Executive Team fiscal reporting meetings.
- Ensure compliance with Federal, State, and University regulations, policy and guidance.
- Aid in identifying business opportunities and in proposal development as required by the business unit directors.
- Facilitate the process for awarding Continuing Education Units (CEUs) to participants in professional development programs, including: serving as liaison to project managers and campus offices involved in the award process; conducting data entry; and maintaining appropriate records.
Personnel related processes
- Disseminate HR policies and documents to directors and staff.
- Initiate and manage new hire recruitment processes.
- Provide services to and collaborate with directors, other managers, and staff on HR related functions to include processing of personnel documentation (e.g. data changes, FMLA status, etc.) and responding to inquiries about personnel related issues.
Contract and Client Management
- Facilitate development of contracts and amendments.
- Work with clients to negotiate contract terms and conditions, clarify scopes of service, explain budget and pricing.
- Advise clients in relation to contract/amendment process, invoicing, and general questions related to the specific business unit, UMDI, and University processes.
- Troubleshoot all calls from vendors/consultants/trainers regarding payment, while maintaining positive working relationships.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with all internal and external clients, and vendors.
- Prepare and submit sponsor (Federal, State, etc.) required financial reports.
- Track contract and amendment progress from development through execution.
- Enter sponsored contract information into the PeopleSoft system.
- Provide manual invoice preparation, follow up, and tracking of all invoice submissions and payments.
- Provide assistance with award close-out processes.
Overall Office Management
- Monitor needs and coordinate office purchases, including ordering supplies, generating quotes, and processing agreements with vendors.
- Process authorizations and reimbursement requests for travel and miscellaneous expenses.
- Reconcile, transfer and complete reports for staff Procard accounts.
- Manage the reservation and related organizational processes for laptops, digital recorders, conference rooms, meetings, training sessions, etc.
- Coordinate office related activities.
- Participate in business unit meetings as requested, including the recording of staff meeting minutes if necessary.
- Track business unit expenses using University financial systems and reallocate shared expenses to sponsored projects.
- Participate in business unit and UMDI level process improvement initiatives as requested.
- Support staff training related to budget and contract processes as needed.
- Participate in A&F Team meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting, related field, or 4-5- years relevant experience.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products including (MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel).
- Demonstrated experience in providing fiscal support including project monitoring.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and learn new financial concepts.
- Demonstrated strong organizational, analytical and communication skills.
- Attention to detail and a high level of accuracy.
- Experience in meeting the demands of complex professional environments where timelines and availability of information is considered critical.
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information and material.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team with varying amounts of support.
- Must have the flexibility to travel within Massachusetts on an as-needed basis.
- Ability to transport items up to 20 pounds from one location to another.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience with automated accounting systems, including knowledge of University of Massachusetts financial and personnel systems (e.g. PeopleSoft, Summit).
- Understanding of state and federal funding streams.
- Functional knowledge of financial management of grants and contracts from numerous funding sources, and of the Office of Management and Budget Uniform Guidance.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Multiple hours in a stationary position while using office equipment and computers.
- Environment is a busy, collegial office area resulting in multiple interruptions and requests for assistance.
- The physical/mental demands and work environment factors described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This position is funded by grants and contracts, and is contingent upon funding. This is a full time benefited position. No relocation assistance provided.
Standard full time work schedule consisting of five eight-hour days and 40 hours each workweek. Work performed in addition to the regular work hours may be necessary and may require a change in availability at specific times to accommodate for variations in work demands.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references by December 1, 2020. A skills test will be administered as part of the interview process.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Nov 16 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Dec 1 2020 Eastern Standard Time