School of Plant Sciences-ResDepartment Website Link:
Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The School of Plant Sciences is looking for a qualified Research Scientist (RS) that will lead the Arizona Genomics Institute’s Sequencing Service Center located on main University of Arizona campus.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
As a cost-saving measure related to the impact of COVID-19, Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs have been approved by the Arizona Board of Regents. All new hires subject to the programs will be notified in accordance with adopted Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs guidelines and will be required to comply with all measures. To learn more about the programs and whether this position is affected, please visit hr.arizona.edu/FY-2020-2021-Furlough-Program.
- The RS will be expected to personally and manage a team of scientists to perform long-read genomic and RNA sequencing, including: 1) DNA and RNA sample preparation from a wide variety of organisms (e.g. plants, animals and microbiomes); 2) Library construction; 3) Sequencing (e.g. PacBio); 4) Data processing and delivery; 5) Downstream bioinformatics analyses
- The RS will be expected to interact and help plan sequencing and template preparation experiments with service center clients and grant funded partners and collaborators
- The RS will be expected to write quotes for service center clients and work with the School of Plant Science’s business office to ensure all invoices are paid in a timely manner.
- The RS will be expected to participate and present updates/progress in regular project meetings for grant funded projects, as well as write report as needed for continuation of federal funding.
- The RS will be expected to serve as PI or CoPI on grant applications for federal funding.
- The RS will be expected to write and publish peer-reviewed journal articles, publications, etc.
- The RS will be expected to expand AGI’s Service Center portfolio, especially in the areas of genome assembly and annotation.
- Additional duties may be assigned
PhD in a Genome Biology related field.
Minimum of 10years of relevant work experience is requiredPreferred Qualifications:
At least 3 years of postdoctoral experience.
Expert knowledge and proven experience in high molecular weight DNA extractions, long-read sequencing methodologies (e.g. PacBio, Oxford Nanopore), genome assembly and annotation of large eukaryotic genomes (1Gb or greater). E
xperience of successfully managing a group of 3-10 scientists in eukaryotic genome sequencing.FLSA:
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Grade:
11Career Stream and Level:
Researchers & ScientistsJob Function:
ResearchType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
For additional questions, please contact Dr. Rod Wing at [email protected]Open Date:
11/16/2020Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Curriculum Vitae (CV), Cover Letter, and One Additional DocumentSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
Please attach your CV, Cover Letter, and in the "additional document slot' a Statement of Research Interest.
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.