Admission CounselorTracking Code704-674 Job Description
Valparaiso University is a selective, independent Lutheran institution in Valparaiso, Indiana, an hour’s drive from Chicago. In our close-knit community of 3,800 students, Valpo provides infinite possibilities for students to get involved and embrace leadership roles in the arts, Division 1 athletics, sorority and fraternity life, and throughout campus. Founded in 1859, Valpo offers a thorough foundation in the liberal arts as well as professional training and graduate study, helping students find their own paths to lifelong personal, spiritual, and professional growth.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
An Admission Counselor/Assistant Director counsels and assist prospective students and families through the college search and enrollment process.
- Effectively promoting Valparaiso University to students and families through formal presentation, individual conversations, telecounseling and text messaging
- The ideal candidate will be able to successfully communicate and build relationships with prospective students, families, high school counselors, and campus and community partners
- Ability to think critically and independently, using problem-solving and judgement skills to make educated, professional decisions
- Extensive overnight travel, including occasional evenings and weekends
- Evaluate applications materials, transcripts, and standardized tests
- Territory management responsibilities include utilizing research data and other resources to assist with planning travel, territory recruitment, and communications outreach to promote the university
- Successful applicants with demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds
Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
Employment at Valparaiso University will require a criminal background check.
To be considered for this position you must upload:
- Cover letter
- List of 3 professional references
- Answer all the application questions
Please address cover letter to:
Bart Harvey, Executive Director
Valparaiso, IN 46383
- Bachelor's degree
- Excellent written communication, verbal communication and strong organizational skills
- Proficient in the following software: Microsoft Office Word, Microsoft Office Excel, Microsoft Office PowerPoint
- One year of admission counseling or education outreach experience
- Event planning and management experience
- Experience with student information systems
- Proficiency in Spanish