First Cook, Sewanee DiningDivision:
Business Services - Sewanee DiningFLSA Status:
Non-Exempt HourlyCareer/Pay Band:
Other (list below)If Other, specify months:
Full year with periodic shutdownsFull Time vs Part Time:
Employee performs skilled work involved with the preparation, display and cooking of a wide array of foodstuffs for Dining Services. Work involves following and maintaining proper sanitation and insuring culinary standards are maintained. Work is performed under general supervision of a chef or food service manager.Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepares and cooks a variety of menu items, Responsible for the main components of the meal served during their shift.
- Coordinates food service activities to have meals and venues prepared at scheduled serving times. Sets up and breaks down serving venues.
- Operates all food service equipment and machinery in a safe, proper manner.
- Prepares proper amounts of each food item to insure product does not run out during the meal period and also that product is not excessively over produced.
- Demonstrates positive customer service skills at all times.
- Participates in cleaning, sanitizing and maintaining kitchen equipment, food preparation areas and walls/floors.
- Occasionally will open /close and secure kitchen and dining facilities
- Maintains all records of food prepared, served and supplies used-production forms, recipes, HACCP forms, amount of each item prepared during a meal period.
- Follows recipes and food production methods set forth by the Executive Chef and the Sous Chef.
- Provides guidance to second cooks on a shift. Insuring that the Second Cooks follow proper production, HACCP procedures.
- Assists with orders and inventories
- Assists in storeroom duties such as receiving orders, rotating stock and taking inventory
- Responsible for proper practice and recording of HACCP safety and sanitation techniques. Documents food temperature control points from preparation to holding and storage.
- Occasionally will finish Baked goods.
- Other duties as assigned
Judgment and discretion as to the use of established policies are required to perform the essential duties of this position.Budgetary Responsibility:
NoneMachines & Equipment Used:
All standard institutional kitchen equipment such as; grills, ovens, mixers, tilt skillets, choppers, griddles, charcoal grills, hot hold, cold hold, etc.Education:
High school diploma or equivalentExperience:
2 years scratch cooking experienceJob Related Skills:
Proficient knife skill food assembly and fabricationLicenses/Certification:
Serv-safe certificationStudent Contact:
Some interaction with student dinnersInternal:
Limited interactionSupervision Received:
This position works with considerable independence and self-direction. Only general direction and scope of the work to be accomplished are discussed with supervisor.Positions Directly Supervised:
Cook IIPositions Indirectly Supervised:
Food service prep and utilityConfidential Information:
Related personnel informationWorking Environment:
High volume kitchen production with hot cooking equipment, cold storage, sometimes slippery floors.Physical Requirements:
Must be able to stand for extended periods of time, Must be able to walk for extended periods of time, Must be able to lift between 21-50 pounds (Medium work), Must be able to carry between 21-50 pounds (Medium work)Any additional requirements specific to this position:
Ability to comprehend, carry out and explain complex verbal and written instructions and/or recipes. Must have basic math skills.
Must be able to wear an approved mask for prolonged periods while performing job duties and responsibilities.University Information:
The University of the South, commonly known as Sewanee, comprises a nationally ranked residential College of Arts and Sciences and a School of Theology. The University is strongly committed to the values of intellectual inquiry, diversity, equity, and inclusion, and living and serving in community. Situated on 13,000 acres atop Tennessee’s Cumberland Plateau, Sewanee is known for its stunning natural beauty while providing easy access to Chattanooga, Nashville, and Huntsville. The University is affiliated with the Episcopal Church and seeks to help employees of all backgrounds and identities flourish.EEO Statement:
The University of the South is an equal opportunity educational institution that is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive campus environment.Employment Prescreening:
Eligibility for employment is contingent upon successful prescreeningNon-Discrimination Statement:
The University of the South stands firmly for the principle that its employees, students, and participants of university-sponsored programs and activities have a right to be free from discrimination based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy and childbirth, and genetic information. As required by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the University does not discriminate on the basis of sex or other protected categories in the educational programs or activities which it operates. This requirement of non-discrimination extends to admission to and employment in those programs or activities. The University is committed to sustaining a community in which the dignity of every individual is respected. Key to this value are efforts to nurture an environment of civility and mutual respect and to foster a culture of reporting concerns so that the University can respond promptly and equitably whenever an incident occurs. All employees, students, and participants of university-sponsored programs and activities have the right to be free from harassment and retaliation.
Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be addressed to:
The University’s Title IX Coordinator, Dr. Sylvia Gray, at:
Woods Lab, 138
Email: [email protected] or [email protected]