Sr. Maintenance Mechanic
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-11-16
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Senior Maintenance Mechanic provides general facility maintenance services and operations, including plumbing, carpentry, painting plastering, electrical maintenance, HVAC maintenance and general operations, housekeeping, and landscape and grounds maintenance. Further, the Senior Maintenance Mechanic resolves the more complex questions and problems.
Department Specific Functions
- Repairs or replaces ballasts, switches, motors, controls, lighting fixtures, etc.
- Operates heating, cooling systems, pumps and other related equipment.
- Adjusts repairs or replaces switches, thermostats, humidistat, and other minor repairs to equipment.
- Checks/operated fire pumps, generators.
- Performs preventive maintenance on all equipment assigned in accordance with established procedures and frequencies.
- Performs minor plumbing repairs, repairs leaks, repairs or replaces plumbing fixtures, minor soldering and brazing or any other work as assigned by supervisor.
- Maintain the progress of the work using an assigned helper when the other person on the team is absent.
- Applies chemicals to the air handler units coils; prepares the area to prevent water leaking out to the exterior of the unit.
- This person will operate the pressure cleaning machine following procedures as assigned.
- Lubricates non-sealed bearings, replaces or cleans filters.
- Keeps daily logs on major components up-to-date.
- Cycles and tests emergency generators.
- Cleans and paints equipment.
- Unstops drains, checks boilers, and water, gas and sewer lines.
- Contact the appropriate foreman when the nature of the work is beyond the mechanic’s capability, then assists with the completion of the work as required.
- Will follow all safety instruction provided to him/her and will use all personal protective equipment assigned to prevent accidents.
- Perform other duties as assigned
High School diploma or equivalent required
Certification and Licensing:
Minimum 4 years of relevant experience
- The individual must possess valid motor vehicle operator’s license as issued by the State prior to appointment.
- The person must maintain such valid license during tenure of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Commitment to the University’s core values.
- Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.
- Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
- Knowledge of standard tools, materials, practices of trades areas assigned.
- Knowledge of occupation hazards and safety precautions of trades.
- Physically able to perform tasks as outlined.
- Able to read, write and speak English to work with the Work Order Management System.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c104