Lead Security Officer
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-11-18
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Lead Security Officer provides a safe and secure environment for students, staff, customers, visitors, and persons conducting business in an assigned facility by continually looking for situations that could interrupt the normal business flow and taking immediate steps to eliminate the risk. Additionally, the Lead Security Officer engages in loss and crime prevention activities to protect University assets.
Responsible for providing a safe and secure environment for students, staff, patients, and persons conducting business on the Medical Campus.
- Controls building access, property removal, maintains civil law and order and assists in prevention of damage due to fire, theft, or thoughtless acts of individuals.
- Responsible for protection against unlawful and/or unauthorized entry, loss or damage to buildings and grounds and enforcement of University department policies and procedures.
- Respond to all building alarm signals and assists in protection of vehicles parked in University parking spaces.
- Assumes after-hour responsibility for assistance in monitoring failure or malfunction of electrical and utility system; and in the detection/reporting of campus safety problems.
- Applies consistent good judgment and common sense to assure that everyone the officer comes in contact with receives fair and equal treatment and that all policies and procedures are enforced without favoritism or bias to any one individual or group of people.
- Must demonstrate ability to use good judgment and clear thinking under stress while handling emergency situations such as fire, theft, disputes, trespassers, accidents, etc.
- Must have the ability to detect and report potential as well as real security and safety problems and to distinguish the likely source of the problem.
- Will be expected to receive and comprehend training on equipment and techniques used by the department. Is expected to take remedial corrective steps and/or notify management for all abnormal conditions.
- Requires excellent communications skills and must use tact and good judgment in dealing with staff, students, patients, and the general public.
- Must be able to prepare complete and easy to read and understand written reports that are neat, legible and fully accurate. All reports are to be kept continually up to date as they must be completed and turned in before the end of each shift.
- Expected to respond and react positively to all problems, Will assist staff, students, patients, and visitors by providing direction and assistance. Will monitor unauthorized individuals and escort them from the premises or call the police. Continually looks for objects, persons, and situations that can interrupt the normal business flow.
- Handles shifts schedules such as post assignments.
- Will serve as supervisor in charge in the absence of the Shift Supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalent required
Certification and Licensing:
Minimum 5 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze, organize and prioritize work under pressure while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to work evenings, nights, and weekends as necessary.
- Commitment to the University’s core values.
- Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.
- Proficiency in computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office).
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle
- Valid State of Florida driver’s license
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c103